Sunday, February 17, 2013

Ben & Jerry's Triple Caramel Chunk (An Ice Cream Review)

It’s been a fun journey going back through Ben & Jerry’s flavors that I ate last year in the process of using up my excess meal points. I’ve found that I can appreciate them more when I’m thinking about how to describe them, and it makes me slow down rather than just blowing through an entire pint mindlessly.

It’s been a while since I’ve had Triple Caramel Chunk, but it’s basically the Chocolate Therapy of caramel ice creams: “Caramel Ice Cream with a Swirl of Caramel & Fudge Covered Caramel Chunks.”


Yum. But despite that tantalizing description, I still had a major dilemma deciding whether I wanted this or my beloved Phish Food Froyo, because I was craving something chocolate. But in the interest of this blog (and knowing I would probably eat the whole pint of Phish Food), I went for caramel overload, after staring at them both for a long while.


Well, not the most promising shot. There’s a bit of caramel swirl poking through, along with what look like chocolate flecks. But those flecks are actually full-fledged caramel cups, and they are everywhere!


Some of the caramel you see above is the swirl, and some (on the left) is from the caramel cups that my amateurish scooping crushed. Actually, for a B&J’s caramel swirl, this seemed a little sparse. When you look at Dulce Delish or Karamel Sutra, it’s like the forgotten little brother. Still, there’s enough of it that parts of the ice cream get that sticky, chewy, heavenly texture, and I needed a napkin to wipe caramel strings off my chin. It is super sweet and super delicious!

Then there are the cups...quite a few of mine got crushed in the scooping process, which is easy to do because they maintain a soft and creamy texture instead of getting rock-hard frozen. They have a burnt-caramel taste, in contrast to the extra-sweet swirl, which mixes nicely with the milk chocolate. And there were about five of these in every spoonful. OK, slight exaggeration...but you get my point, they don’t mess around with their caramel cups!

On to the base: it’s a mild caramel, but you can still tell it’s caramel. Nowhere near the strength of the Dulce Delish base, but I don’t think it needs to be. The caramel cups take care of that deeper, darker caramel taste. This ice cream was also soooo creamy...but then again, I let it sit out for longer than usual while I debated which pint to open. :)

In the end, I was pleased with my decision. There were more than enough caramel cups to at least take the edge off my chocolate craving (with the rest helped along by the discounted Valentine’s Day chocolate I bought yesterday--turns out chocolate-drizzled cherry Peeps aren’t bad). Anyway, while  it’s not my favorite, it’s certainly a worthy addition to the Ben & Jerry’s lineup.
Post a Comment