Friday, February 22, 2013

Friendly's Fudge Swirl (An Ice Cream Review)

It’s pretty much a rule that if anyone brings home some sort of ice cream I’ve never had, I have to try at least a spoonful of it. For the purposes of exploring possible blog posts, of course. ;)

So when my dad brought home some Friendly’s Fudge Swirl ice cream, of course I dipped my spoon in to see if it was any good (don’t worry, it was a clean spoon).



The container claims it’s “Rich and Creamy,” which I certainly found to be true of the Butter Crunch ice cream, so I have no reason to doubt them this time.


Well, there you have it. Fudge swirls, what more can you ask for in an ice cream called “Fudge Swirl”? It’s quality vanilla ice cream, and it certainly is very rich and creamy. The vanilla is pretty mild and harmless, basically just a vehicle for the fudge. It’s certainly nothing spectacular. The fudge is pretty well distributed, and the ribbons are thick in places. I think it could be better if they were just a little bit thicker, without the fudge taking over the ice cream too much.

Of course, I also think it could be better with a real mix-in, because anybody can drizzle chocolate sauce over vanilla ice cream and get pretty much the same effect. It would be different if something about the ice cream or fudge stood out, but both are standard household ingredients (at least in my house). This was a little too simple for me to really consider buying, but if it floats my dad’s boat...hey, I’m not going to complain that it’s in the freezer.
Post a Comment