Monday, February 18, 2013

Mars Caramel Ice Cream With Twix (An Ice Cream Review)


I have this fascination with ice cream that comes in pints. I think it’s because the portion size is easier to get right, plus there’s a limit to how much you can serve yourself...I tend to get carried away when faced with a big tub of ice cream. Pints keep me under control.

Which is fine, except that for the most part the only ice cream I buy in pints is Ben & Jerry’s, and eating an entire pint of Ben & Jerry’s, while perhaps less volume, is not necessarily better than losing control with a large carton of lighter ice cream. Which is why I like these pints Mars came up with. Well, I didn’t like the first one so much, but I also picked up a pint of Twix ice cream when I stopped on campus to use up the money on my student id card. I bought it at the end of last year, too, and managed to get a few spoonfuls before everyone else destroyed it, and I remember liking it. So this time I hid my pint (under the Ben & Jerry’s, of course ;)) until the mood struck and I grabbed a spoon.





OK, I guess the official name is Caramel Ice Cream with Twix, which totally fails to incorporate the fact that this ice cream also has a fudge swirl.

The caramel flavor ice cream definitely isn’t short on flavor. Unlike Ben & Jerry’s Dulce Delish, it does not taste just like a caramel swirl, but has a slight light, milder caramel flavor that works well with both the Twix and the swirl. It’s not boring, but also not overwhelming.
The Twix seem to come in two varieties: there are crunchy ones, like the cookie in your average Twix bar, and there are some pieces that seem to be lacking the cookie part and are just the coating. I also spotted a one or two strings of caramel, though I’m not sure if they were part of the Twix bars or intended to be a separate swirl. While the chopped-up Twix still made the ice cream taste like the candy bar, I do wish they had been bigger chunks. Or maybe that would just result in rock-hard frozen Twix, I really don’t know.



The swirl is pretty consistent, and very rich. A strange thing happened only a few spoonfuls into this pint...



The swirl revolted! So instead of eating that piece of swirl with a scoop of ice cream like I had intended, I just ate it plain. It is without a doubt very chocolatey, and has an awesome gritty texture. Some people might not like it, but I think it adds a whole new dimension to the ice cream, and is much more substantial than your usual, gooey fudge swirl.
While Milky Way wasn’t a success, this certainly is. I attribute it mostly to the great base flavor, but the crunchy Twix and chocolate swirl were also excellent additions. And, now that I’ve seen this stuff at Giant recently, I’ll probably be buying it again.
Post a Comment