Thursday, February 21, 2013

Funfetti Greek Yogurt!

I’ve been at a loss lately for sweet evening treats. I guess I burned myself out on ice cream, proven by the fact that I actually returned an open pint to the freezer, which is a first. Usually I have to scoop from pint to bowl because when I sit down with a pint and a spoon, there’s no point saving the lid “just in case.” (Luckily, this time I did!)

I looked back through some recipes I’d found, but they all took too much time and effort for a Wednesday night (it was past 8 o’clock, so baking was pretty much out). Pudding has to set for a while or else it’s runny...and eating a protein bar for “dessert” just didn’t feel right at the moment. So I opened the fridge and out came something I haven’t eaten in a while now: Greek yogurt.

I originally meant to make a healthier cake with it, but since I don’t know when I’ll find the time, I just decided to use it before it goes bad. But, I kept with the cake theme and I wasn’t sorry. So here we are with last night’s great “recipe”: Funfetti Cake Batter Greek Yogurt!


I started out with one single-serving (6 oz) container of nonfat plain Greek yogurt--mine is the generic Giant brand--and 1 tablespoon of Funfetti cake mix.


After mixing it all up, it still had that sour tang from the yogurt. If you like  it that way, fine. But for me it just didn’t sit well with the Funfetti. I’d recommend adding sweetener to taste. For me, one packet of Truvia was plenty.


It’s not quite as sweet and battery as the cake batter pudding I made before, but it’s great on a different level. I love the thick texture of Greek yogurt as opposed to the thinner goopiness of pudding (don’t get me wrong, I still love pudding!), and the sprinkles in the Funfetti mix added a really awesome crunch. Plus, every once in a while I’d hit an unmixed hunk of cake mix--cake batter explosion!! With 18 grams of protein and around than 150 calories!

Of course, you could add more cake mix...but mix the first tablespoon thoroughly first. As it was, I had some trouble with it spilling over the sides of the yogurt container. But it was an awesome quick treat and definitely a good one for those of us who love to lick the bowl. ;)
Post a Comment