Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Review: Detour Lean Muscle Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch

It’s weird, but I haven’t been eating much peanut butter lately. I mean, actual peanut butter. I still can’t resist peanut butter-flavored nutrition bars. Maybe I burned myself out on it with all those PB & Peeps sandwiches or something. Or maybe I’m developing a taste for peanut butter protein bars instead. Either way, I’ve been thinking I should revisit the peanut butter...but first, I wanted to try the Detour Lean Muscle Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch bar.


As with most of these huge protein bars, this one is calorie-dense at 420 calories, but it also has 32 grams of protein, as the label proudly claims. (I’ll let it slip that I could have two of those Chocolate Peanut Butter Quest bars for 320 calories and 40 grams of protein....)


But sometimes you don’t want two little bars, you want one big one, just for the heck of it. This one certainly fits the bill. The chocolate coating looks almost dark, and I can see the shape of peanuts along the top. Plus, it smells like peanut butter!


It was a bit difficult to break, but if I’m going to be totally honest, I pulled this out of the basement when it was 5 degrees outside, so it was probably not as soft as they meant it to be.

But it tastes like peanut butter. Oh, man, it really actually TASTES LIKE PEANUT BUTTER! The chocolate taste isn’t very strong, but I really don’t care because the peanut butter makes up for it. There’s no protein taste (OK, maybe a hint every once in a while).
The coating sort of adheres to your top incisors, so it sticks around and mingles with the peanut butter...almost like a classic candy bar. It’s a solidly peanut buttery chocolate-coated bar.

The base is gummy and tough to chew--you’re going to get a workout (and I think that would be true even if your bar hadn’t just been pulled out of a chilly basement). Consequently, the crunch is kind of lost; it’s there, but not frequent, and it certainly doesn’t stand out. There’s a bit of crispy crunch in the beginning, but then it just disappears in the chewy base.

But I can overlook all that and say that I really enjoyed this bar. It was satisfying, and most importantly it was peanut buttery! It will make you tired, but it’s totally worth it. There’s no excuse for not getting your protein because you don’t like “that aftertaste.” This one is right up there with Cookie Dough Caramel Crisp!

Taste: 10--I have to say it again--it really does taste like peanut butter, no joke. The chocolate coating is a classic combination.
Texture: 8--it’s a pretty good workout, but that just means this peanut butter goodness is in your mouth for longer! ;)
Health: 8--32 grams of protein and only 3 of sugar, but it’s a bit hefty on the sugar alcohols (17 grams) and fat.
Eat Again? Yes, but not very often as it’s so big and hefty on the calories.


Post a Comment