Saturday, February 23, 2013

Review: MET-Rx Big 100 Colossal Brownie Super Chocolate Fudge

** Sorry guys, lots of thesis-writing, calculus, and planning for our trip to North Carolina tonight...so just another canned review. Just FYI, I have 18 more of these sitting in my Blogger dashboard as drafts and two more I need to write. Consider yourselves warned. **

I love brownies. Who doesn’t? Thick, fudgy,  gooey, warm-from-the-oven brownies...I guess they’re not exactly “homemade, because we usually just use Betty Crocker’s Low Fat mix, although on occasion we’ve done caramel brownies using cake mix or some of the awesome recipes from Herhsey’s.

But what if you could have your brownie and 30 grams of protein, too? Sounds too good to be true, right? But that’s what this baby promises:


This is the MET-Rx Big 100 Colossal Brownie Super Chocolate Fudge (talk about a mouthful, pun intended). It has 390 calories, 30 grams of protein, and 40 grams of carbs, almost half of which are sugar. It’s bigger than the recommended serving size for most brownies, and weighs 100 grams (3.52 oz.). So it’s a decent size.


The icing is a nice visual touch, and I imagine that in the microwave it would get gooey. Since the packaging says to heat it in the unopened wrapper, I didn’t try it (it was already open when I read that), but I would think that could get messy, smearing all over the inside. But that’s all just speculation. I guess I need to buy another one of these.

The first bite is the surprise. Just by squeezing, this bar (bar? brownie?) feels like it’s going to be your standard, chewy protein mix. But it’s not. It’s really soft, almost like cutting butter (though not quite that soft). I’d liken it to the texture of fudge--which is probably the intent, given the name. It’s thick and easy to chew. Of course it’s not really gooey like a brownie--again, more like fudge--but I’m OK with it because...well, because I think it’s awesome.

It also delivers the chocolate taste, though again you can’t expect it to be on par with a real brownie. That said, it’s still fudgy and chocolatey, again living up to its name. If you want to get really, really nitpicky, there’s a bit of a background taste, but you have to work to detect it. This is right on par with a store-bought prepackaged brownie, and in my opinion delicious!

Taste: 10--it’s just like a store-bought brownie, unless you’re super sensitive to the protein taste.
Texture: 8--thick and fudgy, and super easy to eat.
Health: 6--let’s be honest, it’s better for you than a brownie. But as a snack or meal replacement, it has a lot of fat and sugar, so watch out. GoodGuide gives it a 2.7.
Eat Again? Yes!


Post a Comment