Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Review: MET-Rx Big 100 Colossal Peanut Butter Caramel Crunch

I’m getting close to trying every MET-Rx bar now! And of those I haven’t yet tried, only two I have yet to buy. We’ll see if they make an appearance soon....

Anyway, I hit a different Giant than usual hoping to find something new, and just about peed myself in excitement when I saw the Big 100 Colossal Peanut Butter Caramel Crunch bar.




In general, these Colossal bars are tasty and big (even bigger than the ProteinPlus line) and just plain fun, even though I know the profile isn’t the cleanest. I really liked the Super Cookie Crunch, and Crispy Apple Pie was...well, better than apple pie, in my opinion. And, knowing how I feel about both peanut butter and caramel (LOVE), I figured there was no way this could go wrong.



Hmm, I wasn’t anticipating all those chopped peanuts on top. See, peanuts do not equal peanut butter, and, while I’ve been known to eat peanuts occasionally, I firmly believe that they should not be allowed to mess up my peanut butter. However, I’m still willing to give a shot because they’re stuck in what appears to be a layer of caramel. The chocolate bottom is also a nice touch.


See how tall this thing is? You might think you’re getting more bang for your buck, but in this case you might regret it, because it’s so tall you end up scraping either the top or bottom of your mouth just to take a bite. This wouldn’t be an issue if the texture weren’t so solidly crispy. That, too, is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, there’s something extremely satisfying about that super dense crisp. On the other, to quote the extremely wise and observant LMFAO, “pain is bad.”

On to taste. The first impression this bar gives both visually and in taste is peanuts. Not peanut butter, peanuts (remember, they’re not the same?). The second is...uh....

To be blunt, there really isn’t much taste other than the peanuts, and they can only hold up for so long against the blandness of the massive crispy part. The chocolate is minimal, and the caramel might as well have been flavorless goop for all I could taste it. All it does is make the top of the bar a little more difficult to pull apart than the bottom. And hold those damn peanuts in place.

Needless to say, I was not impressed with this bar. It didn’t taste anything like peanut butter or caramel. The only part of the name that’s accurate is “crunch,” and even that has its downsides. It’s basically peanuts on a bland base. I should have listened to the Crazy Food Dude. He wasn’t crazy about it, either.
Taste: 5--not peanut butter or caramel, just peanuts and blandness.
Texture: 7--crispy and dense, which is satisfying, but also scrapes your mouth.
Health: 6--at a startling 31 grams of sugar (44 total carbs), it also has 35% of your daily saturated fat allowance. Granted, it is rather big, so maybe cutting it in half would suffice. GoodGuide gives it a mere 3.2.
Eat Again? No!





Post a Comment