Saturday, February 2, 2013

Review: Metragenix 5:1 Bar Chocolate Covered Pretzel

I’m a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to buying protein bars. I repeatedly buy brands that I know will taste like protein just because the label says something different. And I buy flavors that I’m not totally crazy about. For example, I’ve mentioned several times that I don’t like pretzels (not that I will absolutely refuse them, I just never eat them given free choice). Yet I chose to buy the Metragenix 5:1 Chocolate Covered Pretzel bar at GNC.
“Two great tastes - chocolate and pretzels - have been combined into one delicious bar. Sweet and salty join together in a 5:1 ratio of protein to net impact carbohydrates.”


It may have something to do with my attraction to large protein bars, or my addiction to posting reviews...


Anyway, you can’t deny it looks kind of cool to see those perfect little pretzel outlines through the coating. Although three little pretzels doesn’t seem like enough for a hard-core chocolate-covered pretzel fan.


I was thinking there might be some more in the base, but no dice. Just a chocolate protein base. It smells like milk chocolate coating, which is good, but you can see how hard it was do break by the mess it made on the napkin.

That carries over into eating it, too. The base is really tough--actually hard, until you work it around a bit in your mouth. Which is bad news for your front teeth, because between the hard pretzels and the hard/gummy base, they take a lot of strain as you bite off chunks. If this bar were any taller, you’d need a knife and fork to eat it, because no way could you get enough leverage to bite something that cement-like.

And the mess? Being as hard to bite as it is just makes it worse. There are pretzel crumbs and coating flakes coming off left and right.

It would all be bearable (if not ideal) if the taste was good. But I can definitely taste protein in the base, although they tried to flavor it like chocolate. The pretzels help by lending a little saltiness, but it quickly goes away because the pretzels are chewed so much  more easily than the base. The coating is generic chocolate, but it too soon gets lost in the base. The ends are the best (as usual), only because there is more coating and no pretzels...which sort of defeats the purpose of this flavor.

I’ve had some pretty good experiences with Metragenix, but this wasn’t one of them. It needs some help in both the taste and texture departments. I guess that’s what I get for not listening to my inner taste buds.

Taste: 6--you can taste the pretzels, and the coating, but both are completely overwhelmed by the base, which tries to be chocolate but still carries a strong protein flavor.
Texture: 4--the pretzels crumble, the coating flakes, and on top of that it’s a wrestling match to get a bite. On the plus side, it’s an intense workout.
Health: 8--there aren’t many bars out there that will give you 30 grams of protein for only 270 calories, and it’s also low in sugar. However, with 14 grams of sugar alcohols, it could be problematic if you’re sensitive.
Eat Again? Definitely not.


Post a Comment