Thursday, February 14, 2013

Review: Promax Double Fudge Brownie Energy Bar

I’m not quite sure what to make of these Promax bars. With bars that come in jumbo sizes, like Detour, there’s a big bar and a little bar. Promax sits somewhere in between. On the other hand, I feel like the fact that it’s bigger than my Quest bar means it should have more protein...25 grams maybe? Then again, now that I think of it, those big bars are more than twice the size of my Quest bar, and they don’t have twice the protein....

Maybe it’s best just to not think about it too much and get on with the review.


All right, so it looks the same size as those jumbo bars referenced above, but...


It’s not nearly as tall. This one smells like your standard chocolate-on-chocolate protein bar, nothing special.


Nothing special on the inside, either. When I broke it, the chocolate coating snapped audibly, like a thin shell, but the base felt comparatively soft.

I’m normally not a huge fan of double-chocolate in protein bars, because more often than not the flavor just doesn’t overcome the protein undercurrent. But that’s not the case here. Sure, there’s a bit of a funky protein streak, but unlike so many other chocolate-based bars, the main impression is actually, legitimately chocolate. The coating is another surprise: it looks thin, but it really sticks around and adds a milk chocolate flavor to the bar. It’s cool (another bar from the basement on a cold cold day) and creamy.

The base is gummy and chewy, standard fare for a protein bar. Again, this bar was a little chilled, so if you’re lucky enough to live in warmer climates the texture might be softer. Even so, I still think that if you rushed through this bar, you would get tired of chewing. There’s also a bit of a chalky after-feel, but overall it reminds me a bit of fudge.

The more I ate, the more this bar seemed like candy. Maybe I just got used to it, maybe taking bigger bites helps (my first ones tend to be smaller, for analysis). Whatever the reason, I can’t remember the last time (other than Life Choice’s Double Chocolate protein bar) I actually thought a chocolate/chocolate protein bar with no layer other than the base tasted like chocolate. A surprising success here for Promax!

Taste: 9--one of a very few chocolate protein bars that actually taste like chocolate.
Texture: 8--gummy, chewy, but not too hard, unless you try to rush it.
Health: 6.5--no wonder it tastes so good...it has a lot of sugar. Still, the 20 grams of protein help.
Eat Again? Yes.

[nutrition information]
Post a Comment