Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Review: thinkThin Caramel Fudge High Protein Bar

OK, I know I’ve said it before, but now I think I really have exhausted all the thinkThin protein bar flavors in State College (I do see the occasional thinkThin Crunch bar, but have yet to buy one). The train ends here with the Caramel Fudge bar, which I found at Giant.


On the outside it looks just like all the others, but it already smells different--not like the chocolate coating, but sweeter and, well, like caramel. But it’s a very artificial smell, and actually reminds me of Walden Farms’ Caramel Syrup. It has me thinking of odd aftertastes rather than real caramel.


When I broke the bar, the coating gave an audible snap, but the base was very soft despite being chilled in the basement since I bought it (a few weeks). The fake-sweet-caramel smell was even stronger.

This bar tastes like it smells. It’s fake, yes, but not bad by any means--it’s sweet in a pleasant way, but also a little salty. This actually goes quite well with the whole caramel theme, which is probably why someone came up with the whole sea-salt caramel idea. The base is so different and engaging that there’s no odd protein stuff going on, but it also means that the coating isn’t very noticeable; I can still taste it, but it’s more of a textural aspect.

Which also works really well. The coating is like a crisp chocolate shell, encasing a soft, cookie-like base. I absolutely love the texture of this bar. It’s moist, with no leftover chalky feel. It’s super easy to eat; in fact, I think this might replace White Chocolate as my favorite flavor.

While the initial smell might be a little disconcerting, this bar far exceeds expectations. It’s the best of the thinkThin line so far in terms of texture and taste. I will definitely have to plan another trip to Giant to pick up some more of these!

Taste: 9--maybe not exactly caramel, but sweet and a bit salty, with no protein interference.
Texture: 10--the coating is crisp, the base just like a soft cookie.
Health: 9--these bars have no sugar and are gluten-free with 20 grams of protein. They do use sugar alcohols, however.
Eat Again? Yes.



Post a Comment