Monday, February 11, 2013

Some Days

Some days just go right.

Take today, for instance. It started out rainy and chilly, but by the time I got out to the barn it was in the 50s and sunny. For the first time in God knows how long, I had NO UnderArmour on, and I was warm in my Cabella’s socks. Which is saying something, as I have recently taken to wearing those around the house.

But best of all...I don’t hurt (much).

Big deal, right? But it is. Because I ran yesterday.

No, I don’t mean across the parking lot because it was raining. I mean, I actually put on my sneakers and tied my hair back and went outside with the intention of going for a run, and did it. 0.8 miles, if anyone’s counting. That’s 0.8 miles farther than I’ve run in the past three months combined (yes, it’s really been that long)! I spent the first half mile or so imagining groin pains or envisioning my leg snapping off, and then I gave myself a mental slap across the face. If it’s gonna hurt, it’s gonna hurt, and we’ll deal with that later. So I quit trying to tiptoe on eggshells and did end up enjoying it.

And today...well, it’s hard to tell. I’m paranoid, so of course I feel something there. But, I *think* I may just be imagining it. It’s certainly nothing like it was before I took another forced running break, which is encouraging.

I also met with my advisor about my honors thesis this afternoon. He’d been worried about me just doing a “project” for ARL and not abiding by the true spirit of the honors thesis, which is of course the research. But he liked what I have so far, which was a huge relief. It’s one thing to know that your employers approve of your thesis (it will go in the ARL library as well), but it’s another thing entirely to know that ringing that gong depends on whether or not your advisor gives the OK. And now I know I’m heading in the right direction...I just have to write a hundred or so more pages!

Speaking of which...I think that’s about it for my quick update. Hopefully things will continue rolling right along and we’ll hop out of this winter funk for good soon! The groundhog has, for once, predicted an early spring, and it’d be nice if he was right. I’d like to enjoy as much PA springtime as possible before I head down to North Carolina.
Post a Comment