Sunday, March 31, 2013

Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie Froyo, Second Chance! (An Ice Cream Review)


Happy Easter everyone! This means it
’s time for my favorite Easter tradition of all...buying all the stores out of half-price Peeps and chocolate bunnies! Anyway, on the theme of resurrection, we
’re revisiting a previous Ben & Jerry
’s flavor today.


A while back I did a post on a fossilized pint of Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie Froyo. It had been in the freezer for way too long, the brownies had turned chalky and white, and the texture was terrible. So I felt it was only fair to give it a second chance, and since I recently revisited the full-fat version, now seemed as good a time as any.


This is the lowest-calorie offering that B&J’s has (I believe--correct me i f I’m wrong!), at 180 calories per half cup. That means I could theoretically crush the entire pint without feeling as guilty as I did after singlehandedly demolishing the full-fat version two weeks ago. BUT...I restrained myself this time and settled for 3/4. :)


Anyway, opening up the pint, I was certainly relieved to see brown brownies this time, and right on the surface, too! And digging down...


...reveals even more, huge, whole brownies. No powdery brownie residue this time, no chalk. But the texture is obviously not ice cream; it breaks when scooped, rather than being creamy, and comes out maintaining the shape of the container.


I noticed a couple things in comparison to the ice cream version. First, the froyo is a lighter chocolate flavor. It’s not as deep and delectable as the regular B&J’s base. Also, I mentioned the texture is easier to scoop and icier than actual ice cream; not that it’s icy per se, just not necessarily creamy. I let it melt for a bit, which helped, and added some caramel topping. Which is something I would NEVER do to an ice-cream based B&J’s flavor, because I firmly believe that they are meant to be enjoyed as is (OK, maybe a teeny bit of whipped cream, though I’ve never tried this). Honestly, any topping you put on is going to be so inferior to the ice cream/mix-in combo that it’ll only bring it down a notch.

OK, rambling aside...the brownies were affected oppositely. I actually liked them better in the froyo than in the full-fat version. I’m not sure why. Maybe I shouldn’t have eaten the full-fat stuff straight from the pint so it could melt better and get creamier (which also probably would have prevented me from eating the entire thing). Or maybe the chocolate ice cream base is just so good that the brownies pale in comparison, while the froyo isn’t as great a base. Or maybe my mind is just messed up. Anyway, the brownies are huge, chewy, and fudgy, although I did detect a few spots that felt like the edge of the pan had burnt a little--crunchy-turned-soggy in melted froyo sort of texture. But overall, they were very good.

Ben & Jerry’s Froyo confuses me. The Half Baked and Chocolate Fudge Brownie both seem to suffer from this obviously-froyo textural defect, but I have never, ever, ever detected it in the Phish Food (you won
’t catch me eating Cherry Garcia anytime soon)
. Maybe the marshmallow messes with the consistency. Whatever, I love it. In my opinion their best froyo, and I honestly can’t tell it from the original. (OK, maybe that’s an exaggeration...but it’s really hard!)


So I’d say, if you’re really interested in calorie savings, definitely try this. But in my opinion, the original isn’t really worth buying in the first place among all their other flavors.Too bad they don’t make more froyo...but I’ll always love my Phish Food!
Post a Comment