Saturday, March 16, 2013

Cookie Dough Dip--Healthy!

My mom’s side of the family has a slew of birthdays in March. My dad, my cousin, my uncle, and my grandma. And that’s only out of the ones who live in State College, and I’m probably forgetting someone besides.

So how convenient is it that this year my grandma’s birthday just happens to fall on a Saturday? You know what that means, right? Huge multi-birthday party! And you know what that means, right? I want to try something new, feed it to a bunch of people, and hope they like it! ;)

Well, I didn’t want to do the usual cookie or brownie, since it’s a birthday party and there will obviously be cake. And I do like healthy recipes that don’t appear healthy. So it seemed like the perfect time to finally try a recipe I came across on Pinterest months ago: Healthy Cookie Dough Dip.

The original recipe is at Chocolate Covered Katie, but there are so many versions out there that I ended up tweaking and Googling and tweaking some more...then back to Google. So my recipe is mainly based off of Katie’s (which looks delicious!), but really it’s a conglomeration of four or five different ones. Everyone seems to have their own preferred sweeteners, nut butters, and amounts. So here’s what I came up with.

It doesn’t matter where you go, the basis for this dip is always the same.


Yeah, chickpeas (garbanzo beans). I’ll be honest, I’ve never eaten one before in my life (well, after tasting the dip, now I have!), but they’re a good source of protein. And you know I love protein.


Here’s what went into my dip:
  • 1 can (1.5 cups) chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons Chocolate PB2
  • 1/8 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips
Throw everything except the chocolate chips in a food processor (we used a blender because our food processor wasn’t big enough). My mom and I peeled the skins of the chickpeas first for a smoother texture. The amount of milk you need varies depending on how thick you want your dip; the original calls for up to 1/4 cup. (It also uses oats to thicken, but we didn’t have any.)


I also chose to use PB2 instead of the original’s nut butter, just to make it even healthier (although I know the fat in nut butters is healthy). If I were making this dip just for myself, I would have used Truvia or something similar, but “normal” people at parties don’t always enjoy artificial sweeteners. So I used brown sugar, but less than the original 3/4 cup.

Well, the blender wasn’t a total success, so we had to keep stopping to manually scrape the sides and get things unstuck. So I’d definitely recommend the food processor if you have one.

The final step: mix in the chocolate chips! In all honesty, I probably didn’t need the whole 1/3 cup...but I like chocolate, so I just kept adding. :)


And there you have it! Cookie dough that you don’t have to feel guilty about eating. Fair warning, it does smell like peanut butter (well, PB2), and someone who doesn’t like peanut butter would probably pick out the taste and smell right away. For me, the sweetness from all that sugar is a good enough mask that I can pretend it’s chocolate chip cookie dough, or maybe peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough. One is as delicious as the other.


Maybe it’s not perfect, but spread on Nilla wafers and graham crackers, it’s a good little dip. Most people said it was good and went back for more (after I told them what it was). And it’s healthy! So you don’t have to feel so guilty about standing over the plate at the party. :)

Post a Comment