Saturday, March 23, 2013

Life is Like a Container of Greek Yogurt


Fair warning before you decide to plunge on and put up with my ramblings: I’m feeling rather frustrated at the moment. So that will probably (definitely) color the rest of the post.


Why am I frustrated? Well, I started the day by sleeping through my alarm God knows how many times, until I finally woke up an hour and a half later than I meant to...at least it was a weekend! But missing my alarm always puts me in a bad mood, and I meant to spend a lot of today studying for my math exam this Thursday. Not a good way to start the day.

Then the YMCA was hosting an underwater Easter egg hunt, which is great for the kids and all...but only half of the pool was open and the swimmers in the open lanes were all terrible splashers. Add that to cold water and aqua-jogging wasn’t much fun either. :( And my bathing suit ripped (luckily just the outer layer of a two-layer fabric), so I had to stop at Dick’s for a new one. Actually, I bought two because I go through them so fast.

On top of that, my adviser told me after reading my thesis draft that I needed more analysis. So I wrote up a more in-depth analysis section, emailed it to him, and have yet to hear from him. That was Wednesday, and he’s usually pretty punctual. I’m starting to get anxious because this paper is due April 8, and two people have to read and approve the whole 110-ish pages before then. So if I need to do more research or rearranging or editing, I want to know ASAP! I emailed again this afternoon just to make sure he really got the first one, but now I’m thinking I’m starting to be annoying. I don’t want to be that nagging student. ;)

In the grand scheme of things, I suppose these are just small bumps in a road that will ultimately lead...well, I guess I don’t really know exactly where, beyond an apartment complex in Durham, North Carolina. Which reminds me of how lucky I really am. I have a great job already secured, a family that supports my decision, a horse and a pony who are always happy to see me even if it’s only because of the food in my hand, and a really good university right in my backyard. Oh yeah, and some pretty awesome friends, including a froyo buddy and the one who got me my job. :)

It just takes a different perspective. Like adding Truvia to a rather nasty chocolate concoction.

Wait, what?

All right, maybe not the best segue into last night’s experimental food mixing. But how else was I supposed to go from my frustrating day to chocolate Greek yogurt?


All I did was add one tablespoon of Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder and a packet of Truvia to a container of plain Greek yogurt, thinking it would be something like the Funfetti yogurt I made before. But it turns out there are some differences between cocoa powder and Funfetti cake mix.

First off, cocoa powder is a lot dustier. It poofs everywhere and is really hard to clean up, but beyond that it soaks up the moisture in the yogurt and makes it hard to mix at first. I should have added my tablespoon a bit at a time instead of all at once. Oh well, learn from your mistakes, right?

But the key difference is in that word “unsweetened.” I could have pounded down the Funfetti mix sans Truvia if I had to, but no way would that work with the chocolate version. It just made me never want to look at chocolate again (yes, I foolishly tasted it even though I knew it would need sweetener, don’t ask why). And even after adding the Truvia, it still wasn’t sweet enough for me.


I stopped at two packets because three seemed a little excessive. The result was mildly chocolatey, but nothing deep or dark or mind-changing. It was still a little tangy, which might throw you off. I definitely prefer the Funfetti version, but I may try this with the Special Dark cocoa powder that’s sitting in the cupboard....

OK, so it wasn’t perfect. But that’s life. If we want to take, we have to give a little. And who knows, maybe you’ll discover that tangy chocolate is your thing. ;)

Post a Comment