Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Perry's Light Cinnamon Ice Cream Review

Usually when I eat ice cream, it needs to have something super sweet like chocolate or caramel in it. Especially caramel. But every once in a while I’ll get a craving for something different to break it up. Which is what happened at Wegmans the last time I went.

New for 2013, Perry’s has introduced Cinnamon ice cream: “light (140 calories per half-cup) cinnamon ice cream with cinnamon graham swirls.”


It just spoke to me. I don’t have cinnamon ice cream that often, although there’s still a bit of Turkey Hill’s Baklava Greek frozen yogurt left in my freezer. Other than that, the closest I’ve come is Blue Bunny’s Cup O’Coffee Cake, but their cinnamon was just plain disappointing. Hopefully this one will be better. well, it is
“perfectly churned,” how bad can that be?


Now, I know some companies seal their cartons in plastic, but I’d never actually seen it until now. It’s definitely unique...and slightly annoying when you’re madly hungry and craving some sweet cinnamon streusel!


On the surface it looks pretty unassuming, but after digging down I uncovered the swirls.


These swirls are decent, but not nearly as good as the swirls in Ben & Jerry’s Cinnamon Buns or even the Baklava Greek yogurt. Why? They’re not gooey. The description says “cinnamon graham swirls,” not streusel, and you can tell the difference. These are dry and crunchy swirls, and the graham-cracker aspect is definitely present. That’s not necessarily a bad thing; in fact, I would have liked more swirls than they gave me, but I do like my goo. :)

The cinnamon ice cream itself has a cinnamon-streusel taste, but it’s rather light and fluffy. That’s fine, it’s light ice cream after all, but bottom line it a scoop of this stuff isn’t going to fill you up  like a scoop of premium ice cream. Also, the texture is funny because there’s a grit, and I can’t tell if it’s inherent in the base or if it’s the swirl pervading everything.

Still, it’s a good solid cinnamon-graham combination. If you want cinnamon rolls, this might leave you a bit disappointed. I will most definitely finish the container, but i probably won’t buy it again. My cinnamon ice cream cravings just aren’t frequent enough to justify it (and no one else will eat this, trust me).
Post a Comment