Saturday, March 9, 2013

Review: Labrada Lean Body Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Whole Food Bar

I have a bad habit of buying new protein bars whenever I see something I haven’t tried, even though I already have about 20 at home that I haven’t tried, plus my Quest bars, plus some other old favorites. I then bring home the new purchases and forget about the old ones, and the cycle just repeats itself until I have layers of protein bars sitting in my basement.

I’ve been making it a goal to get my supply down to a reasonable number, especially now that I’ll be moving to North Carolina this summer...it would be great not to need a separate car just for protein bars! Anyway, I was rooting around in my stash and found this Labrada Lean Body Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Whole Food bar from GNC, and since I couldn’t remember exactly when I bought it, I decided it was a good choice.


The site makes a point of telling you it’s gluten-free, has no artificial sweeteners or coloring, and doesn’t use sugar alcohols. Looking at the above picture, it also doesn’t appear to use chocolate chips.


There’s no coating, but it’s not sticky like some of the coating-less bars. It has a fake-peanut butter smell, and it’s still bugging me that I can see oats or crisps or whatever they mix in the base, but no chocolate chips.

The first bite is a bit of a surprise. There is a fair amount of initial resistance, but then it’s as if the bar just gives up, and suddenly your teeth cut through. Sort of like it tries to be one of those chewy bars like Quest, only the inside is drier so it doesn’t quite succeed. That said, it doesn’t feel dry as you chew, and there’s not weird feel left over in your mouth when you’re done. It’s a little juicy, easy to chew, and no mess.

It also tastes like peanut butter...kind of. It’s a bit dour behind the mild peanut butter taste, and perhaps slightly oaty. And no chocolate. I’m starting to wonder if maybe they mislabeled the packaging.

It’s really a shame there aren’t chocolate chips, because they would help what turns into a bland and boring bar. It’s not bad, just way too mild and thoroughly uninspiring. I don’t see myself eating this one again.

Taste: 7--mildly nutty, but there was no chocolate whatsoever.
Texture: 8--sort of chewy, juicy, and overall a pleasant experience.
Health: 7--it seems fairly clean; more carbs than protein, which may or may not be what you’re going for.
Eat Again? No.


Post a Comment