Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Review: MET-Rx Big 100 Chocolate Chip Graham Cracker

I realize that enormous, 400-calorie, 30-grams-of-protein bars are meant for bodybuilders and serious athletes who actually use them for the nutrition they contain. However, that doesn’t stop people like me from buying them just for fun. I do, however, sometimes elicit strange looks as a midget girl carrying five or six giant bars up to the register. Then again, people probably think the same thing when I walk through Giant with six pints of ice cream. (I swear, I don’t eat them all at once!)

Anyway, like I said, I eat them because it’s fun. Most of them actually taste pretty good, and I like writing reviews. So it all works out. That’s why I bought this MET-Rx Big 100 Chocolate Chip Graham Cracker bar from one of the stores on campus.


It looks just like the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough bar I had a while ago, and smells like something generically sweet with a hint of chocolate. Personally I think it’s impressive that you can smell the chocolate at all, since compared to the meat of the bar it’s not very prevalent. You can also see crispies in the mix, as well.

Yeah, terrible picture...sorry about that. But it at least conveys the chocolate chips and crisps (the whitish things) inside the bar. It’s also really sticky--as in, I had to use force to peel the wrapper off--so be careful what you touch.

Basically, it tastes like it smells. It’s generically sweet, though I guess the main flavor could pass as graham...but I can also taste the protein. It’s very subtle in the aftertaste, and seems to diminish the more you eat, but it’s still there. This bar is not not hugely chocolatey, but then again the chocolate isn’t totally missing, either. Basically, it’s just sweet.

I really like the texture here. I thought ahead of time and pulled it out of the basement about 20 minutes before I actually ate it, so it wasn’t hard from being chilled. It was similar in texture to the cookie dough version, chewy like a Quest bar or very soft taffy. It was actually almost doughy (some might call it gummy), though the crisps and chocolate chips in the base added some crunch.

Maybe chocolate chips is the wrong word...they’re more like flecks. I wish they were bigger, but for their size they made an admirable effort to convey their flavor. That and the slight protein taste are my only complaints, but other than that it’s an enjoyable bar.

Taste: 8--generic sweetness and a bit of chocolate; slight protein aftertaste.
Texture: 8--sticky but chewy and doughy, some would say gummy.
Health: 6--with 55 grams of carbs, it might be better for post-workout energy. Still, at 27 grams it has more protein than sugar. GoodGuide gives it a 5.
Eat Again? Yes.


Post a Comment