Thursday, March 28, 2013

Review: NoGii Mint Chocolate High Protein Bar

So I didn’t actually eat chocolate mint on National Chocolate Mint Day, but I ate this NoGii High Protein Chocolate Mint bar the day after Chocolate Mint Day, so that should count for something. This bar was part of a prize pack that I won at Christmas, which included five other bars (some of which I’ve already reviewed), a cool bag, a t-shirt, and The G-Free Diet by Elisabeth Hasselbeck (which is an interesting read, even if gluten-free isn’t your thing).


This bar smells like a peppermint patty as soon as you unwrap it. I’ve found in general that mint protein bars usually taste and smell like Girl Scout cookies, simply because mint is such a strong flavor that it mutes the base, while the coating is still discernible.


The same is true here. It’s like a crunchy or crispy peppermint patty, which I guess is basically a thin mint. All the thin mint components are there: obviously, the mint and the chocolate coating. But the inside also reminds me of the crunchy cookie part of a thin mint, because it’s a denser crisp than a Rice Krispies Treat. It’s very satisfying and not at all proteiny.

The chocolate coating is really smooth and silky, and complements the crisp and mint flavor perfectly. In fact, I liked this bar better than the peanut butter flavor. It really is almost like a cookie, and I could definitely fool myself into thinking this was dessert.

Taste: 10--it is basically a big thin mint.
Texture: 8--dense and crispy, almost an Oreo cookie-like crisp..
Health: 8--it has 17 grams of protein and is certified gluten-free. However, soy is listed before whey on the ingredients panel.
Eat Again? Yes!


Post a Comment