Sunday, March 17, 2013

Review: Promax Chocolate Peanut Crunch Energy Bar

As always happens eventually, I have now officially tried every Promax flavor offered (to my knowledge) in State College. For the most part, they’ve been enjoyable, and I was hoping that the finale would have a happy ending as well.

So, here we are with the Chocolate Peanut Crunch flavor, which has 300 calories and 20 grams of protein.


Peanuts, check. It smells like peanut butter, incidentally, plus the chocolate coating of course. It’s hard to tell in this picture, but it looks like dark chocolate.


I’m not sure why some of the nuts are white, or if they’re maybe some other sort of “crunch,” because they didn’t all have a peanut-like texture. There were several that were more of a brittle/praline-type crunch. Not what I was expecting, but I like it! Unfortunately a lot of them were lost amid the texture of the base.

The base is pretty hard but still chewy, keeping in mind that my storage area (basement) is chilly in the winter. It got easier to eat as it warmed up, but it’s still a workout no matter what temperature you choose. It will keep you busy, and you’ll get tired if you try to go too fast, but for me it was fine because I was sitting at home watching TV and not in a hurry. And I like to take my time with food. :)

My first impression was that this bar had a protein background taste that was sort of muted by peanuts and the chocolate coating. But I think I was imagining things, because by the third bite all I could think was chocolate and peanut butter. This bar is surprisingly chocolatey given the thickness of the coating, and it tastes like decent milk chocolate (my tastebuds and the ingredients list confirm, it’s not dark). And the peanut butter...well, there’s no mention of peanut butter in the description, but it’s definitely there. It’s also not on the ingredients list, but it does contain partially defatted peanut flour (so, basically, PB2), which could explain it. It’s like a chewy mouth-workout version of Butterfingers, except not quite so sweet and slightly less peanut buttery.

What a way to end my central PA Promax journey. Until I scope out all the stores in North Carolina, I guess I can only hope one of the places around here switches up their orders...after these last few successes, I want more!

Taste: 9.5--it’s like a milder Butterfingers without the crunchy texture, less peanutty than peanut buttery. The chocolate is a big player.
Texture: 7--the crunch is somewhat lacking. The base is a little hard, still chewy, and not for those in a hurry.
Health: 6.5--there’s a lot of sugar, plus almost a quarter of the recommended daily saturated intake. It has 20 grams of protein, but the first ingredient is soy protein isolate, not whey. Still, for a candy bar replacement....
Eat Again? Yes.


Post a Comment