Thursday, March 21, 2013

Review: Supreme Protein Carb Conscious Chocolate Peanut Butter Wafer Crunch

I had a conversation with the guy at GNC the last time I was there (his first question: “No coupons this time?”), and he confirmed what I already suspected: There are indeed only two employees who work there. So I guess it’s inevitable that they come to know me as the coupon lady (even though I’m not ready to be a called “lady” yet).

Anyway, I didn’t have any coupons for once, I just wanted some protein bars...and maybe some of those free sample calcium and B12 chews they always have sitting out. :) Anyway, while I was there I picked out this Supreme Protein Carb Conscious Chocolate Peanut Butter Wafer Crunch bar. Whew, what a mouthful! But the length of that name befits the size of this bar--it’s really big!


Oh nice, it was even on sale...I didn’t notice that when I bought it. I guess I just have good instincts. ;)


It also smells like peanut butter, which is promising. You can see some peeking through that hole in the coating.


There are three layers: the wafer, the protein base, and then some creamy peanut butter on top...OK, four layers if you count the coating. The peanut butter, of course, is the thinnest layer. Funny how that always works.

Despite that thinness, the peanut butter flavor is really strong in this bar. On my first bite I thought I tasted protein, but that bite didn’t have any peanut butter in it (the hazards of breaking them for pictures...), and the rest of the bar mostly reminded me of chocolate-peanut butter candy. And whereas other bars taste a little fake, this one actually tasted like peanut butter from the jar.

I’m not a huge fan of wafers (especially those stupid little brown, orange, and pink
cookies...yuck!), so the texture wasn’t a huge success for me. I did enjoy how the top layer of peanut butter and coating got stuck to the roof of my mouth, though--sort of like real peanut butter. The wafer is...what can I say besides crunchy? The peanut butter and the wafer are both easy to cut through, but they surround a hard (it then gets chewy in your mouth) base, so it’s a bit weird when you suddenly meet resistance during a bite. The crisps in the top of the coating were nice, but I found that they irritated the top of my mouth when I tried to push through that tough base.

At first I wasn’t sure about this bar. For certain, I’d like it a lot more without the  wafer--I tend to like chewy protein bars. But the pure peanut buttery-ness of this bar more than made up for that. It’s like a crispy Reese’s cup.

Taste: 10--peanut butter + chocolate. ’Nuff said.
Texture: 9--the peanut butter is creamy and real, but I’m not a huge fan of the crunchy wafer. And the base is disconcertingly hard in comparison, though it turns gummy as you chew.
Health: 6--it has 60% of the recommended daily saturated fat allowance for the large bar, so maybe cutting it in half or buying the smaller one is a better idea. That said, 30 grams of protein is a lot, and most of it is whey. Sub it for a peanut butter candy bar and you’d be fine.
Eat Again? Yes.


Post a Comment