Saturday, March 30, 2013

Review: ZonePerfect Kidz Yellow Cupcake Bar


You may remember that a while ago I received loads of free ZonePerfect bars for being chosen as their fan of the month. Those 80 bars should have been plenty to hold me over for the next year, yes?



No. I got a coupon to try these new Target-exclusive (as far as I can tell) Kidz bars for $2 off a box of five (which turned out to be half-price at my Target). I saw them in North Carolina when we checked out the Super Target across from one of the apartments, and despite not having the coupon with me I bought a box of Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip. Since then I’ve been frequenting my local Target, because they were always out of the flavor I really wanted: Yellow Cupcake!


Now, these are smaller than your usual nutrition bar, but you have to remember that they’re meant for kids. My inner five-year-old was certainly hopping with excitement about trying this cake-flavored bar, because it’s not a flavor you see often. (For those who are curious, Metragenix’s White Crispy Crunch, while not named “Birthday Cake,” is supposed to taste like that.)


OK, so it doesn’t look terribly exciting. But it smells generically sweet like some vanilla mixture that could pass for cake, and it has a white coating! Better yet, the ingredients list it as yogurt flavored, so double score already!

Well, maybe I psyched myself up for this one a bit too much. At first, it’s really sweet, the same generic vanilla as the smell. And the coating? AWESOME. It’s the sweetest part, and very creamy and yogurty and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. But the problem is, after it melts in your mouth, all that’s left is a sour endnote, I’m guessing from the base. Luckily this isn’t so much an aftertaste as just the taste of the plain base, but it’s still not as fun as the packaging on these things.

In terms of texture, it’s mostly chewy, but there are a few crisps thrown in. They’re very subtle and don’t add a whole lot, except to make you wonder why there are crisps in something that’s supposed to resemble cake. But at the same time, I can see how breaking up the texture would keep the bar from being too boring.

I love love love the coating on this bar, but the base leaves a bit to be desired. So, I think I like the peanut butter one better...although it lacked the awesome coating, it wasn’t as sour and stayed truer to its description in terms of taste. But don’t worry, I’ll still finish this box! In fact, I did like them better than the Funfetti Pop Tarts, which is just as well because they’re a lot more nutritious!

Taste: 7--sweet at first, but the base is sour. The yogurt coating is what saves it.
Texture: 9--chewy with a few crisps; easy and pleasant to chew, even if cake and crispy don’t go together.
Health: 6--pretty sugary in relation to other ingredients, but that’s a kid thing.
Eat Again? Yes.


Post a Comment