Friday, March 8, 2013

The Girl Scout Code of Cookies (An Ice Cream Review)

My family is going to stop letting me do my own grocery shopping soon. They’ll have to, before I overflow the freezer with ice cream and protein bars start coming out the chimney. See, whenever I need something practical, I just can’t resist walking down those two aisles to see if there’s anything new.

Of course, checking the ice cream aisle for something new every two or three days rarely yields results, but sometimes I see something old with new eyes. OK, so this one wasn’t exactly “old,” but I remember passing it up before. I’m not sure what made me pick it up this time, but I came home with a container of Edy’s Slow Churned Caramel Coconut Cookie ice cream.


Now, I was thinking that it would be something like coconut-flavored ice cream with caramel swirls and Oreos, like cookies & cream with a twist. (In my defense, that’s kind of what the picture looked like.) But then some Googling informed me that “Caramel Coconut Cookie” is actually code for “Samoa,” which is what this limited-edition ice cream has been called in previous years’ releases. So it’s actually vanilla ice cream with samoas swirled in.


Oh, well. It’s still really good. I absolutely love Edy’s Slow Churned ice cream. It really is creamy and smooth and...well, it just doesn’t taste like 1/2-the-fat, 1/3-fewer-calories ice cream that the container boasts about. This flavor is no exception. The base ice cream is sweet vanilla, but the caramel seeps through the entire carton, so even when there are no cookies or swirl in your spoonful, you’re never just eating plain old vanilla ice cream. Which is the way it should be, in my opinion.


The cookies could be a little more evenly distributed here--digging in the same general area, I found a ton of samoa chunks, so many that they were packed together in a hard lump. It was kind of cool, in the way that Ben & Jerry’s huge mix-in pieces are cool, and satisfying to burn some of the calories I was about to consume by wrestling with the ice cream scoop. ;)

So if you don’t want to be overwhelmed with coconut, shoot for the lightly-cookified areas. And hope someone else in the house loves samoas. If you don’t like the taste or texture of coconuts, this ice cream definitely isn’t for you, because they figure quite prominently into both aspects. Personally, I liked it. I’m not the world’s biggest coconut fan, but I do like the taste. Now I’m thinking I need to try an actual Girl Scout samoa.
Post a Comment