Saturday, March 2, 2013

When 80 Bars Show Up On Your Doorstep (+ Review: ZonePerfect Perfectly Simple Toasted Coconut)

So, I’ll come right out and confess that I’ve gotten lazy lately with my posts. With very few exceptions, I come home at night and, somewhere in the midst of doing homework and house-hunting, realize I haven’t posted anything today...so I simply click on my drafts (there are currently 20), pick the oldest one, and press “Publish.” I’m embarrassed. I’m ashamed. I’m sorry.

But today is different. Today you get a real live written-on-the-same-day-it-was-published post, because yesterday as I was leaving for class my mom lugged this huge package from Abbott Nutrition through the front door.


Four boxes packed with ZonePerfect bars. I was chosen as their January Fan of the Month, and when they asked me my favorite flavor so they could send me some, of course I said cookie dough. I also mentioned I’d like to try their semi-new Perfectly Simple line, which originally had three flavors (I think the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip is a recent addition). I was thinking they’d send one or two of each bar, but...


...each of those packages contained four boxes of each flavor (cookie dough + the original three Perfectly Simple)! That’s five bars per box, for 80 bars total! Unbelievable! I’m going to have to share these, because there’s no way I can finish them all by myself by the use-by date, even if I ate them all the time! I mean, I still have to try new things to review, right? ;) Anyway, there’s the cookie dough, which I’ve already reviewed (second from left), and then the three Perfectly Simple flavors: Cranberry Almond (red), Peanut Crunch (yellow), and Toasted Coconut (blue).

I ripped into the Toasted Coconut first. These Perfectly Simple bars are so named because they use minimal, simple ingredients. In this case, there are just seven. All of which I can pronounce and, even better, I know what they are.


You can smell the coconut right away. While this bar is small, it’s very dense. It’s not sticky or anything, and slightly soft when squeezed. I love Quest’s Coconut Cashew bar (and in fact ate one for breakfast this morning!), and this sort of reminds me of that, only with almonds (and a bit smaller).


The almonds aren’t huge, but they’re not chopped up into teeny pieces, either. Their presence is relatively subtle, unless you get a whole chunk with only a little coconut. That doesn’t happen very often, though, because there are coconut shreds literally all throughout this bar. The coconut flavor really hits you, but it’s actually not that sweet. The base mitigates it a bit. Anyway, I do like the sweetness of coconut, so I wouldn’t mind if they really let it shine through here, but it’s still tasty.


In terms of texture, this bar surprised me. It’s not chewy like I was expecting. In fact, it’s really soft and I’d say it’s like a cookie, except that it’s also crispy, which cookies aren’t. Plus, it has coconut shreds all over the place. If you don’t like that texture (think Mounds), this probably isn’t the bar for you. But for me...well, let’s just say I’m enjoying being Fan of the Month! And you can bet on those other flavors showing up somewhere along the line, too. :)

Taste: 8--lots of coconut, but not as sweet as coconut usually is. Infrequent almond bursts add variety.
Texture: 9--very soft, but if you don’t like the texture of coconuts you probably won’t enjoy this one.
Health: 8--it may be a little high in sugar and saturated fat, but remember that a lot of that is healthy fat from the nuts. And it only has seven ingredients, which is refreshing to see in a nutrition bar.
Eat Again? Yes. And a darn good thing too!

[nutritional information]
Post a Comment