Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Arctic Zero Strawberry (A Frozen...Something...Review)

After my first few experiences with Arctic Zero “ice cream,” I’ve come to respect it as an acceptable non-ice cream replacement for ice cream. The first three flavors I tried were definitely successful--Vanilla Maple is by far my favorite, but Chocolate and Chocolate Peanut Butter have also returned to my freezer.

Still, I knew that buying the Strawberry flavor was a gamble. I’m not really into strawberry ice cream, and I was afraid this would just be like an Italian ice. Still, every once in a while a gamble pays off, right?


Well, sadly this wasn’t one of those times. I took it out of the freezer. I set it on top of the slightly warm stove for a few minutes (like maybe 5 or 6). But when I opened it up and tried to scoop, it was still very icy.


In fact, I bet I burned at least as many calories trying to scoop as I ingested. There were a few times to force of my spoon suddenly sent frozen dessert flying across the room. Finally I turned to nuking it for 10 seconds.

It was a bit softer (and less dangerous to surrounding furniture, pets, people, etc.), but still not creamy like the other flavors. It still “broke” rather than scooped, and there were crunchy pieces in the ice cream.

I suppose it did taste like strawberry, and not overly artificial either. But I can’t get past the texture on this one--it really was horrible. If you’re in the mood for Italian ice, that’s fine, but I’m not an Italian ice fan so this really didn’t sit well. It makes me cautious to try another fruit flavor, that’s for sure. I think I’ll stick with the chocolate/vanilla-ish offerings.
Post a Comment