Sunday, April 28, 2013

Recipes in Recovery


Well, I’m on day three of limited exercise: only an hour on the stationary bike, which is a HUGE deal for me. I’ve also tried to break away from my obsessive routine of crunches and other ab exercises, and have instead been doing the 15-minute Insanity cardio + abs video. I’m not really sure how I feel about all this. I’ve been trying to stay active in other ways--going to the barn, helping my dad put mulch around the flowerbeds, walking the dog. Yesterday was really tough, as far as not being hungry and feeling bloated pretty much all day. But today I found my stomach growling a little as I got off the bike! I’m just trying to stay positive.




But in my last post, I mentioned that my dad stayed home with me and kept me occupied, and that we tried some new recipes for dinner...so of course I want to share them with you!





This journey is going to be all about change. Changing my lifestyle, changing my thought patterns. Ultimately, it is a transformation as I try to separate myself from ED and find out who I really am. So it’s only fitting that our dinner on the day I finally decided to recover was a series of transformations as well.

First, we transformed a simple head of cauliflower
into this:





They were supposed to be cauliflower buffalo wings, but since I can’t tolerate hot sauce, my dad just hot-sauced five or six of them and left the rest plain battered. They were super easy:

Cauliflower Buffalo Wings

Ingredients:
  • 1 head cauliflower
  • 1 cup milk (we used skim)
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup hot sauce
All you have to do is cut the cauliflower; mix up the flour, milk, and garlic powder; dip the cauliflower; and bake for 18 minutes. If you want them hot, heat up the butter and mix it with the hot sauce, coat the cauliflower, and bake at 450 degrees for 5-7 more minutes (do this even if you don’t add the hot sauce).

For the second recipe, we turned these:


into this:




These required a bit more effort than the cauliflower, but are still fairly easy.



Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients:
  • Potatoes, cut into smaller wedges or strips
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • Fresh grated Parmesan cheese (we just used the stuff you sprinkle from the can)
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Again, set the oven to 450. Cook the potato wedges in boiling water for 3 to 6 minutes. In the meantime, heat a cast iron skillet (we used a stovetop skillet instead), coated with the olive oil, in the oven.

When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and put them back on the burner. Shake them to dry and roughen the outsides. Then put them on the skillet, toss, and roast. Turn to cook both sides. When they’re almost tender, add the cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper and then put them back until they’re tender.

If you remember, I don’t really like potatoes. But these were pretty good. Granted, we cooked them a good long time so they were nice and crunchy (so not much mushy potato-ness). But combined with the “Buffalo wings,” they made an excellent dinner! In fact, there were NO LEFTOVERS! I take full responsibility for demolishing the potatoes, on top of going out for frozen yogurt later. :)



The road ahead will be rough. I know that. But I don’t want to go back. I don’t want to do that to myself, and most of all I don’t want to do it to the people who care about me. It’s time for a change. Starting now.
Post a Comment