Saturday, April 20, 2013

Review: Fiber One Caramel Nut Protein Bar


After eating 20- and 30-gram protein bars for so long, I tend to laugh at those that come with similar calorie counts, 7-10 grams of protein, and the proud label “protein bar.” Really? That’s more of a nutritious snack that you’d reach for if you find Snickers too nutritionally devoid.


But, nonetheless, Fiber One claims that this Protein Caramel Nut Chewy Bar is a protein bar, with its whopping 7 grams. I know I’m biased, and for a normal person this might totally qualify as a protein bar. And, since they sent it to me for free, I really can’t complain.


Well, maybe a little bit, because it’s so small. No way is that going to fill me up. It’s like only eating one Snickers Mini when you haven’t eaten anything else all day. I don’t care what the commercials say, grabbing that Snickers won’t help much!


Speaking of Snickers, this bar actually looks like it might resemble the candy. It smells like peanuts and caramel, although it’s crispy on the inside rather than nougaty. There are some sticky strings, but nothing gooey. Actually, it reminds me a bit of the Detour Lower Sugar Caramel Peanut bar, only that one had nougat-like base inside.

The first impression is a sweet and salty blend--that caramel really comes through! The peanuts are more in the background, but I’m guessing that’s where the salt comes from. The chocolate, at first, isn’t obvious. But as I  continued eating, it became more and more prominent as the salty peanuts faded out. It actually reminds me of a very sweet peanut butter, coated in chocolate.

The texture is basically that of a chocolate-covered Rice Krispies Treat. The peanuts must be good at hiding, because I only rarely felt them despite their visual presence. It’s a light crisp, very easy to eat, and for me a disadvantage, because I pretty much inhaled this little thing. And no, it didn’t fill me up. So I could easily imagine a scenario in which you went through half a box in one afternoon.

I think of this bar more as a little candy bar, although it’s much more nutritious. It’s easy to forget that, though, as the taste is so sweet and candy-like, with that crisp texture. Good job in the taste department...but I’m still not sure I’d label it a “protein bar.”

Taste: 9--very sweet and also salty; a bit like a Snickers bar.
Texture: 9--light and crispy, but very easy to speed through.
Health: 7--it has 7 grams of protein and 20% of your RDV of fiber, but for such a little bar there’s quite a bit of sugar and fat.
Eat Again? Yeah...but I probably wouldn’t buy them.


Post a Comment