Sunday, April 7, 2013

Review: Good 'n Natural Oatmeal Cinnamon Raisin Bar

I have lamented before about the perpetual lack of oatmeal raisin cookies in my house because I’m the only one that eats them, and if there are chocolate  or cinnamon or other such types of goodies I’ll eat those first, so that when I get to the oatmeal raisin ones they’re old...anyway, since I like the occasional oatmeal raisin item, which isn’t conducive to baking an entire batch of cookies, I often pluck nutrition bars with that label off the shelves like they’re candy.

That’s what happened when I saw this Good ‘n Natural Oatmeal Cinnamon Raisin bar. Not only is it oatmeal raisin, but they’ve thrown cinnamon in there too!


I have high hopes for this “seed and nut” bar. You can certainly tell it’s primarily made of seeds and nuts. And oats. But it doesn’t smell like anything, which is kind of weird.


It doesn’t taste like cinnamon or raisin, either. Although I can feel the oatmeal in the texture--it gets stuck in your teeth. But overall, the bar is pretty bland, even sour. You know that smell when you walk into one of those natural stores where you can scoop your own grains and herbs? Like a Nature’s Pantry (I don’t know what they’re called in other parts of the country)? You know that really strong herby smell that knocks you out as soon as you open the door? Well, that’s how this tastes. Unfortunately I really don’t enjoy being assaulted by that suffocating smell, and I don’t find the taste any better.


As for the raisins, I think I can see them, but as far as taste they’re nonexistent. Just oats and blah and overwhelming herb.

The texture reminds me of a Clif bar, but less sticky and slightly softer. It has a bit of the same molasses feel, with the oaty texture mingling after you’re finished. Those oats are just plain annoying. Like I said before, they stick in your teeth and are very bland, so this isn’t a good thing either.

I’d been curious about Good ‘n Natural bars for a while, but now I know better. I doubt I’ll buy this brand again, and certainly not this flavor. Of the three ingredients in the name, only the oatmeal was discernible, and by texture rather than taste (unless you count a possible raisin sighting). I was really disappointed, because it killed my desire for anything oatmeal raisin, and not in a good way. And I love oatmeal raisin.

Taste: 2--and that’s generous. Not cinnamon, not raisin. Some kind of awful overwhelming herb, along with bland oats.
Texture: 7--soft, but the (bland) oats get stuck in your teeth forever once you’re finished. Unfortunately the texture is probably the best part of the bar.
Health: 6--it does contain a lot of seeds and nuts, but those come at the end of the ingredients list--long after brown rice syrup and maple syrup. And the protein is from soy.
Eat Again? No!


Post a Comment