Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Review: Muscle Milk Protein Crunch Bar Vanilla Almond Yogurt


This is only my second experience with Muscle Milk protein bars, and I found it at Walmart. For some reason my Walmart keeps its store-brand (Life Choice) protein bars separate from the other individual nutrition/protein bars, which are near the band-aids. Go figure. Anyway, that’s why I’ve never bought anything besides Life Choice from Walmart.

But when I saw “Vanilla Almond Yogurt” staring at me, along with a label claiming 30 grams of protein, I knew I had to try this bar.


Now, I know I wasn’t impressed the first time around, but I love yogurt coating so much that I knew I’d at least be able to tolerate it.


The first thing I noticed was that the bar seems a little smooshed and lopsided; one side was a lot thicker than the other. The second thing I noticed was how hard it was to break in half. Eventually it did bend a little and then snap. But it didn’t bode well for the texture.

It turns out I was right about the coating--it’s delicious! Very, very sweet and yogurty, everything I could have asked for. There are actually two different kinds: the sides and bottom are coated in your standard yogurt coating type, while the top is frosted, with a softer, almost fluffy consistency. By itself, this frosting is almost exactly like Pillsbury icing, although nutty from the chopped almonds on top. I ended up peeling it off, it was so good! It sort of reminded me of those vanilla/almond nougat candies, only better.

The initial taste is super sweet from all the vanilla and yogurt, but the base is a bit proteiny. It, too, tries to be generically sweet in that vanilla way, but there’s still something a little off about the whole thing that reminds you you’re eating a protein bar. Still, I can overlook that because the rest is so good! The almonds do take a backseat, which is fine with me, but not what the name implies.

The texture is a bit difficult; you will get a workout with this bar. Taking small bites, it’s fine, but if you’re in a hurry I could see this getting painful and/or frustrating to chew. It’s a combination of crispy and chewy, but I wouldn’t label it a “crunch” bar. From the name, I was expecting something like a Rice Krispies Treat, but this is more like your typical gummy protein bar with crisps mixed into the base.

Taste: 9--the coating/frosting is unbelievable, but the base it still slightly proteiny.
Texture: 7.5--a bit of a workout, and not chewy, not crunchy, but also satisfying.
Health: 7--while it has 30 grams of protein, the fat and sugar content may be too high for some.
Eat Again? Yes.


Post a Comment