Saturday, April 6, 2013

Review: Promax Pro Series Triple Chocolate Crisp Bar


We have a new player in the super-protein bar market! If you follow protein bars like I do (which you probably don’t), you might already know that Promax has a new line of 28-gram protein bars to supplement their already existing energy and snack bars. They recently released the Pro Series, which consists of two flavors: Triple Chocolate Crisp and Peanut Butter Crisp.



I got  my Triple Chocolate Crisp bar as a free sample when I ordered other products from bodybuilding.com. I was pleasantly surprised when it was a full-sized, 90-gram bar, not a smaller sample size.


This bar deviates from their original “core” and “LS” (lower sugar) lines in that it’s not coated. Well, it’s half-coated: the bottom and sides are lined with milk chocolate, and the top is drizzled with it too. I can also see the crisps mixed into the base in places.



Actually, it reminds me of a brownie. Breaking it, it’s very soft. It’s more like pulling it apart than breaking. It smells like chocolate, but not necessarily milk chocolate or chocolate coating. More like the base would smell, which makes sense since there’s less coating here.


This bar really is like a brownie. The base, especially when combined with the chocolate lining, is almost fudgey, and definitely very chocolatey! I did detect a slight flat aftertaste that sets in once the real chocolate has dissolved and you only have the base left to speak for itself. But the chocolate factor never totally disappears, so I don’t mind the protein reminder too much.

The brownie-ness continues with the texture--for the most part, anyway. There are crisps mixed in, as the name implies, but this bar is mostly chewy. In fact, the crisps sort of get lost in the base and are a rather infrequent occurrence. It’s sort of like a brownie, but gummier and, I’ll admit, hard to chew at times. But if you don’t rush through it, you’ll be fine. It’s also nice and juicy, releasing chocolate bursts into your taste buds.

Overall, I have to give this bar a thumbs-up. Despite the fact that, yes, you know you’re eating a protein bar (which is why you picked it up, right?), it’s really chocolatey and kicked my cravings. I liked the fudgey/gummy texture as well, which made it more brownie-like than fully coated bars. Now I’d love to try the peanut butter flavor...I’ll have to keep my eyes open!

Taste: 9--very chocolatey and fudgey, but you won’t forget it’s mainly protein.
Texture: 8--like a very chewy, gummy brownie; maybe too tough for some. The crisps get lost in the base.
Health: 7--not for the low-carbers (40 grams), but it has 28 grams of protein, is gluten-free, and contains no gelatin, so (lacto-ovo) vegetarians rejoice! It’s worth noting that 10 grams of the carbs are fiber.
Eat Again? Yes.


Post a Comment