Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Review: Pure Protein Bar Peanut Butter Caramel Surprise

Guess what? I’m almost through all the flavors of Pure Protein bars now, too! Well, at least I was until they introduced their new line of soft-baked bars, although I have yet to actually see them in stores.

Anyway, the latest is the delicious-sounding Peanut Butter Caramel Surprise bar:


Those are two flavors I love, although almost every bar I’ve tried that combines them has fallen short in some way. This one carries that fake peanut butter-protein bar smell that most bars have, although it doesn’t seem as strong.


Oh, yum! That caramel has my mouth watering! This bar is unique among the Pure Protein line, which usually has a base layer, and optional soft layer (e.g. caramel, marshmallow, jelly), and a coating. This one seems to be a hollow base filled with caramel and covered in peanut butter-flavored coating. It’s kind of neat to have the protein layer surrounding the caramel instead of underneath.

I think that helps distribute the taste more evenly. I couldn’t taste any hint of protein whatsoever, as I have in the past with this brand. Mostly it
’s just caramel, although the peanut butter is also definitely distinguishable. The caramel is real and authentic, gooey, and candy-like. The peanut butter coating also gets an A+. It’s not straight-up peanut butter, but more of a sweet candy-type peanut butter.

In texture, it’s very soft and not gummy (except the gooey gumminess from the caramel). I’m guessing that’s because it’s hollow on the inside to allow for the caramel filling; whatever the reason, it’s awesome. No matter what else I say I just keep coming back to the caramel goo and how sweet that stuff is.

This bar is really more like candy than a protein bar. Up until now I’ve only seen them in boxes of five or six, and since I wasn’t sure I’d like them I didn’t want to go that route. But now I wouldn’t hesitate. This is something I would for sure eat again, even if I didn’t need the extra protein. Like I said, it’s candy. With protein. What are you waiting for? Go buy some, now!

Taste: 10--they need to make real candy bars with this combination of peanut butter and caramel. This is just perfect!
Texture: 9--lots of goo from the caramel, otherwise soft and chewy, but not gummy or difficult.
Health: 8--the saturated fat content may be a little high for its size, but this will deliver your candy fix and 18 grams of protein.
Eat Again? Yes!


Post a Comment