Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Review: Supreme Protein Carb Conscious Peanut Butter & Jelly

PB&J: it’s the classic American sandwich. The lunchtime favorite of kids everywhere. Although I have to admit that as a kid I was averse to the jelly, and even now I usually skip it in favor of some less-healthy alternative like Peeps or caramel. In fact I don’t even think we have jelly in the house right now. But thanks to Supreme Protein, I can still enjoy some PB&J now and then.


This is the Carb Conscious Peanut Butter & Jelly protein bar (it also comes in a large size). OK, so real peanut butter and jelly sandwiches don’t have rice crisps busting out of them, but they also don’t have delicious-looking peanut butter candy coating either. It’s a tradeoff.


As always, Supreme Protein does an accurate job of illustrating their product--it looks just like the picture on the wrapper. The jelly layer is almost liquid, just like real jelly. When I went to break the bar, I actually punched right through the top because this layer is so soft. The bar doesn’t smell very fruity, though; it’s mostly that fake-peanut butter scent you get with most protein bars.

The base does taste a bit  like fake protein covered with peanut butter, but that odd tinge is fleeting. Soon the peanut butter kicks in, though this too is mild if you’re a true die-hard peanut butter fan. The gooey jelly adds a hint of fruit, but surprisingly it doesn’t stand out very much. Given past experiences with “jelly” layers in fruit bars, I was expecting it to take over here, but it doesn’t. Which is fine with me (recall our previous discussion :)). No one flavor really stands out; they all sort of mash together in a nice blend.

The texture is also really well done. The base is a little hard at first, but it quickly turns chewy, sort of like a cookie. It’s not gummy, but at the same time you’re not getting this for free. The crisps in the coating add a nice, light crunch that I might have to consider for my next peanut butter sandwich. And the jelly is...well, jelly. The liquid-like squirt factor is pretty cool amid the other solid ingredients.

I really did enjoy this bar. My only (small) issue is that the coating flakes a little, probably due to the instability of having a liquid layer on top. But I wouldn’t trade that layer, so in the end it evens out. For a really quick, on-the-go version of a PB&J, this bar is more than adequate.

Taste: 9--a good take on the classic sandwich, with equal parts PB and J.
Texture: 8--chewy but not gummy, sort of like a cookie with a liquid filling.
Health: 7--it still has more carbs than protein, but only 5 grams of that is sugar. Watch out for sugar alcohols (as with anything)
Eat Again? Yeah, sometimes.


Post a Comment