Friday, April 12, 2013

Review: ZonePerfect Perfectly Simple Peanut Crunch

After winning ZonePerfect’s January Fan of the Month contest and receiving 16 free boxes of bars, I’ve been immersed in ZonePerfect. I’ve mostly been scarfing down the cookie dough ones, because they’re my favorite, but I’ve had a few of the Perfectly Simple Coconut bars after my initial taste test. Since they were a success, I decided to move on and try the Perfectly Simple Peanut Crunch bars next.


It looks pretty much exactly like the coconut bar, and also like the coconut bar it has very few ingredients (in this case, six), and they are all pronounceable. Surprisingly, the first is peanut butter.


Why is that surprising? Well, the packaging hints at peanuts but no peanut butter whatsoever. That, and it doesn’t taste like peanut butter at all. Just peanuts. The peanut flavor is pretty bold, but they aren’t as flavorful as peanuts you get in a jar...in fact, it’s a little bit boring. I also think there’s a slight sour undertone that I didn’t get with the coconut bar, although looking back that one wasn’t as sweet as I would expect coconut to be. I’m not sure what’s going on here, but I’m a bit weirded out. Not that it’s terrible, just...unexpected.

The bar is very soft, with a slightly oaty texture that’s also crispy. It’s super easy to chew, and I could easily just shove it all in my mouth without even blinking. There’s no effort at all involved in chewing, which makes it go down well despite the less than exciting taste.

This bar isn’t nearly as tasty as the Toasted Coconut bar, but it’s still good. Plus, the minimal ingredients make me more than happy to eat the remaining 19 of these. :) ZonePerfect has done a good job introducing this new line of “less-is-more” bars. I hope to see even more flavors in the future!

Taste: 7--definitely peanutty, but a little bland and bitter, too.
Texture: 9--very soft, with oats and crisps mixed in.
Health: 9--I really like that it only has six ingredients. Plus it’ll give you 10 grams of protein and is certified gluten-free.
Eat Again? Yes.


Post a Comment