Tuesday, April 2, 2013

This Takes the Cake!

I have an obsession with cake batter. You may have noticed that a lot of my recipes use Funfetti cake mix; this is partly because I opened the box and used some to make Fudge-fetti over Christmas break, and then I had (and still have) leftover cake mix. But I’ve always loved all things cake batter: Ben & Jerry’s Cake Batter is one of my all-time favorite ice creams, and I love their Red Velvet Cake over all other red velvet ice cream because they use a cake batter base. Same with Cold Stone Creamery; cake batter and red velvet cake are my favorites.


But I’ll go for anything cake-flavored, too, not just the batter. Breyers’ two cake-flavored Blasts! were a hit (with the Oreo now retired), and I can never resist trying out Blue Bunny’s Duff Goodman cake flavors even though (with the exception of Triple Chocolate and Red Velvet) they usually lack oomph. I can’t tell you how disappointed I am that I never got to try Ben & Jerry’s Flourless Chocolate Cake. The first protein powder I ever bought (and still buy) was About Time Birthday Cake flavor. Oh yeah, and the Metragenix White Crispy Crunch bars that I liked enough to buy a whole box of? The website says they’re birthday cake-flavored. Score!


I’m obviously not the only one out there who loves cake-flavored products. They are absolutely everywhere! I’ve come across a few examples lately (and seen so many more that I really want to try, but can’t find).

First off, ZonePerfect’s Kidz nutrition bars come in a Yellow Cupcake flavor. You can find them at Target (I just reviewed these a few days ago).


Then there are Pop-Tarts. Every time I see them, I always want to try the different flavors, but I rarely eat Pop-Tarts, so I can never justify buying a whole box just for me. But I finally got over that and bought some Funfetti (OK, fine, “Confetti Cake”) Pop-Tarts the other day.


They reminded me why I don’t eat Pop-Tarts very often. Sure, they tasted a bit like Funfetti, which I expected, and the crunchy frosting is good, as is the filling. But the actual pastry is as dry as I remember from the last Pop-Tart I had, which was probably about a year ago. They need more filling and frosting! The rest is just crumbly and a waste of your caloric allowance. I wanted to try the Red Velvet ones as well, but now I may have to reconsider.

And, you’ve probably seen the Birthday Cake Creme Oreos that came out to celebrate the cookie’s 100th birthday last year. But I never tried them until early this year, and shame on me! In my opinion they’re better than regular Oreos, because...well, it goes back to liking cake-flavored things, and Oreo creme is no exception! It also seems creamier than the original cream, and easier to remove whole from the wafer part (if you like to eat them like that).



I think it’s safe to say that we love our cake, always dreaming up ways to have it and eat it, too. Cake batter and red velvet-flavored Chapstick? You got it. I’m just waiting for Quest to come up with something. Then my life will be complete.
Post a Comment