Saturday, May 4, 2013

Ben & Jerry's Late Night Snack (An Ice Cream Review)

** It has been a CRAZY weekend of graduations and parties, and I have SO MUCH to post about (including a couple of new recipes!), but I have no energy to tackle that task tonight. So for now it’s just another review that I had stored up, but I promise to catch up soon! **

I cannot remember the last time I ate a potato chip.


It’s true. And it’s not for lack of having them in the house, it’s simply lack of interest on my part. (Potatoes in general only rarely find their way to my mouth, usually when eating out.) I much prefer chocolate.


So how about chocolate-covered potato chips? With caramel? In ice cream?


I’m not sure what made me pick up Ben & Jerry’s Late Night Snack ice cream, because I honestly never, in a million years, imagined myself eating it. And I wasn’t in a rush to get into the whole Stephen Colbert’s Americone Dream vs. Jimmy Fallon’s Late Night Snack thing that so many bloggers do. But then I got this weird craving for salt, and everyone always says this one is a great sweet and salty combo...and before I knew it the pint was in my basket. Plus, it’s B&J’s only vanilla bean base, which I wanted to try.


This flavor is really similar to Americone Dream, with the addition of “bean” to the base and chips instead of waffle cones. (After trying this flavor, I want to go back to Colbert’s flavor because I got a bum pint last time.) You can already see a  nice big potato chip busting through the surface there. So I went straight for that one because I was so curious about what a chocolate-covered potato chip with vanilla bean ice cream would taste like, and...

...and, it’s weird. The base is very creamy and sweet and vanilla-beany, if you know what I mean. It’s more than just a plain vanilla, but it’s still vanilla. Nothing overly spectacular. It was the potato chip that had me scratching my head. See, at first it’s chocolatey, and then, almost as soon as you bite into it, the salt takes over and all you can taste is POTATO CHIPS! That one on top was still crispy and otherwise just like a potato chip, but throughout the pint I encountered some soggy ones. These didn’t have quite the salty flavor burst that the crispy ones did, so I actually ended up liking them better. Yeah, I’m weird like that.

The caramel swirl didn’t seem overly salty; it was certainly sweet, though. Being a caramel lover, I would have liked to see more of it, but what there was, was very gooey and stringy and...well, if you’ve ever had B&J’s caramel swirl before, you have some idea. Although I did notice it was a bit thinner and runnier than usual.

As far as texture, it’s the usual super-creamy, super-rich B&J’s. I usually let mine melt a bit to perfection. Which may or may not have soggified (yes, that’s a word...now) some of the potato chips. I’m not really sure I liked this ice cream--the combination of flavors was just a little too bizarre--but I’m glad I tried it. It was sort of a perverted bucket-list thing, I wanted to at least give it a try. It certainly curbed my salt craving. So now I know where to go the next time it hits.
Post a Comment