Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Blue Bunny Caramel Fudge Brownie Sundae (An Ice Cream Review)


Ever since I heard of Blue Bunny’s new Caramel Fudge Brownie Sundae flavor, I’ve been waiting for it to appear. It is the sole reason I go to Walmart anymore. Well, that and the Breyers Birthday Blast! ice cream (it’s the only store that sells these two for some reason). So when it finally appeared, I snatched it up even though I still hadn’t finished the Chips Ahoy!, Perry’s Cinnamon, or Turkey Hill Baklava Greek froyo still in the freezer. (Those were among my other staples like Golden Oreo and various Edy’s Slow Churned cartons.) So yeah, my freezer was a little full.


But it was totally worth it.


OK, back up. This is another Duff Goodman flavor. Up until now they’ve all been cake-based and not quite up to par. (Although I do enjoy the Triple Chocolate and, sometimes, Red Velvet...if I’m in “the mood.”) Instead, we have brownies. And caramel. And chocolate. Yum!


The ice cream itself is actually caramel, not vanilla with a caramel swirl. Actually, it’s “caramel flavored low fat ice cream embedded with rich dark fudge brownie pieces and laced with buttery caramel ribbons.” Which is a bit confusing, because this is part of their Premium line, so why include low fat ice cream? Not that I mind, it just struck me as conflicting...


And I totally don’t care, because you can’t even tell it’s low fat. The chocolate ice cream is pretty standard milk chocolate, nothing special. But the caramel...I can’t tell if it’s the ice cream itself or the ribbons swirled into the caramel (but not the chocolate) ice cream, but it really hits you. I never understood caramel described as “buttery” before, but I’m going to agree with Dubba at On Second Scoop here: they mean buttery! This is absolutely the most badass caramel ice cream I’ve ever tasted, not counting Talenti’s Sea Salt Caramel. The funny thing is, to the naked eye, the swirl is so disappointingly nonexistent that you’re expecting something much blander. It’s an awesome surprise.

And, of course, there are the brownies. I really enjoyed them--they add a lot of fudgey, stick-in-your-teeth delightfulness. But that’s not to say they couldn’t be better. Some of them had the texture of an overbaked, previously crunchy brownie that’s been soaked in ice cream. Others were better. I think I liked the chocolate cake pieces in the Triple Chocolate better, but overall these brownies were chewy and, like I said, I really enjoyed them. Sure, they’re smaller than Ben & Jerry’s monsters, but they seem deeper in flavor, and they’re literally everywhere. It’s hard to get a scoop without at least one.

So, since I love brownies, not to mention all things chocolate and caramel, this ice cream was a huge success. The only disappointment was that there was way more of the chocolate ice cream than the caramel, which in my opinion is (along with the brownies, of course) what makes this worth eating. Just something to think about for the future, Duff.
Post a Comment