Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Confetti Cake Froyo, a Second Attempt

I feel silly only using the ice cream maker twice since we bought it, but with my move to North Carolina looming, I’ve been trying to eat what’s already in my freezer stash (at least the stuff that my family won’t eat once I’m gone, like the peanut butter). But I once again found myself running up against the problem that originally led to the ice cream maker: Funfetti. Cake batter. Why does no one make a cake batter ice cream that isn’t gut-busting--and is easily accessible? As in, not from a scoop shop like Cold Stone, and not Ben & Jerry’s?

So. I wanted cake batter and I wanted it frozen in creamy form. But after my brownie batter ice cream attempt turned into something more like really hard brownie batter Italian ice, I decided I should go back to froyo, only this time with a slightly different recipe than the original Funfetti froyo.

Here it is, taken from The Trunk Blog and adapted, despite having learned my lesson before about messing with ice cream recipes. I only wanted 3/4 of the original recipe, so the measurements are different, and I used vanilla yogurt, so I omitted the vanilla from the original:
  • 3 cups (about 1 tub) Dannon Light & Fit Vanilla (or whatever yogurt you prefer)
  • 3 tbsp fat free half and half
  • 7 tbsp Betty Crocker Shake & Pour Confetti Cupcake mix
  • 2 packets Truvia
  • (1 tsp vanilla if using plain yogurt)

I can
’t call it Funfetti this time because Pillsbury has that trademark, and I used Betty Crocker
s just-add-water confetti version...and then found out that there are eggs in the mix...oops, I should have noticed all those warnings not to eat the raw batter on the container. And realized that, if all I need to add is water, there is something bad about just eating the mix. Oh well, I
’m still alive the next day, so no harm done. Anywho, back to the froyo....





I dumped it all in the blender and off we went! Keep tasting as you mix; I originally only had 6 tbsp of cake mix and 1 packet of Truvia, but after blending it still wasn’t sweet or flavorful enough for me (i.e. it still tasted too much like yogurt). The best part about making your own froyo is that you can add just as much flavor as you want. (I’ve read that the frozen result is usually less sweet than the batter, though--just a heads-up).

Anyway, the mixture has to chill for at least two hours before you put it in the ice cream maker. And there’s no waiting worse than waiting for ice cream to be ready for consumption....

Fast forward about two hours and I discover that pouring the mixture into the ice cream maker is so much easier from the blender pitcher than from a mixing bowl. Except for the smell, you wouldn’t even recognize this stuff as yogurt; the liquefy setting on the blender really does work, because this just looks like milk (even the confetti pieces are gone!). But a half hour in the ice cream maker turned it into perfect soft-serve consistency!


Now, there is definitely still a yogurt tang, but I like this recipe better than the first one I made. There’s a bit more cake-mix flavor, though still nowhere near the commercial cake batter products. I think adding the half and half, even if it was only a little bit, made the texture slightly smoother this time. Because I didn’t want to wait for it to harden up in the freezer, I ate it when it was still really soft--almost like a Frosty--and very easy to blow right through. But I’m proud to say, I didn’t eat the whole batch this time! So I can report back on what happens after a day of storage.


24 hours later...it’s like a froyo brick! I’m not surprised, since there’s no fat in the yogurt or the half and half, and fat is what makes ice cream, well, creamy. But if you let it sit out for a while before you try to scoop, or microwave it for 15-20 seconds, it’s fine. It still tastes great, which is the important part! Next step is to try the same recipe with brownie mix instead.... :)
Post a Comment