Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Haagen-Dazs Limited Edition Salted Caramel Truffle (An Ice Cream Review)


Haagen-Dazs has failed to impress me much so far, at least as far as competing with Ben & Jerry’s for the supreme maker of premium ice cream. Sure, they get points because Ben & Jerry never thought of combining Speculoos (Biscoff) cookies with ice cream...but that doesn’t change the fact that the ice cream isn’t nearly as creamy. I just like B&J’s texture so much better.

That’s not to say that H-D isn’t good, just that it’s not as good as B&J...and I can assure you that there’s no bias from my newly established Penn State-alum status. :)

BUT, I hadn’t yet tried...



...the limited edition Salted Caramel Truffle ice cream from H-D. According to the website, “classic French fleur de sel is the inspiration for our salted caramel truffle ice cream. we blend smooth, sweet cream ice cream, ribbons of rich salted caramel, and decadent chocolaty truffles to create this indulgent delight.” It sounds a lot like Talenti’s Sea Salt Caramel gelato, in ice cream from. Bring it on!


Oh, yesss...I haven’t even scooped and already there are truffles and caramel poking through. And they’re not just clustered near the surface; the entire pint is littered with truffles. Even about halfway down:


The caramel swirl is also much more frequent than the swirl in Dulce de Leche, although being a caramel fiend, I wouldn’t have minded more, or a thicker ribbon, or something. Whereas Dulce de Leche was a sweet caramel, this one is definitely distinctly salty. It’s deceptive because it appears thin and/or weak in color--very light and sort of watery-looking--but it really slams you with flavor. It complements the mild, milky sweet cream base nicely.

The truffles are my favorite part. They are super fudgy, while still imparting a strong caramel flavor that is slightly less salty than the swirl. They are exactly the kind of chocolate candy I can’t have in the house because I would eat them all at once. They’re basically the same thing you’ll find in Talenti’s Sea Salt Caramel.


While the base ice cream still doesn’t compare in texture to Ben & Jerry’s, Haagen-Dazs has a winner of a flavor here. I would DEFINITELY buy this again...soon! It’s the truffles and swirl that really make it hard to do this flavor justice in writing. It’s better than the Dulce de Leche by miles, and despite my love of Biscoff (another food I can’t have in the house), I’d prefer this over the Spiced Caramel Biscuit as well. Good job H-D on this awesome creation.
Post a Comment