Saturday, May 18, 2013

My Enchilada Experiment

I love Pinterest. At first I thought it would be useless, but once I finally got an account and started trolling the Food & Drink category, I was hooked. I now have a board dedicated completely to recipes I want to try. Most of them are desserts that I’ll probably never make. A lot of them are just for drooling over the pictures. Way too many of them are things I want to come back to later but then forget about. Some are healthier versions of not-so-healthy foods.

These enchiladas fall into the latter category. Seeing as it’s garage sale weekend in my neighborhood and I didn’t help my parents at all with our garage sale (in my defense, I did have an appointment with the eye doctor today), it seemed only right that I should let them relax while I made dinner.

So, here we go. The original recipe is from SkinnyMom; my only changes were substituting yellow onions for white (does it matter?) and to use just one can of enchilada sauce, because...well, I don’t really like enchilada sauce. In all:
  • 8 tortillas
  • 1/2 cup cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup ricotta
  • 3/4 cup chopped onions (I used yellow)
  • 2 tbsp chopped green chilies
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
  • 1 small can enchilada sauce


First, mix up the ricotta, cottage cheese, onions, chilies, and 1/2 cup of the Mexican cheese (I added the shredded cheese after all the other ingredients were well-mixed). It looks a bit gross, but it smells amazing!


Then I poured about half the enchilada sauce into my pan and spooned the mixture out evenly onto the tortillas. That’s the hardest part for a perfectionist like me...I had to be all type-A about making sure they were equal!


Then wrap ‘em up and plop them into the pan and cover with the remaining enchilada sauce! (That’s a 9 x 13 pan.) Make sure all the surfaces at least get a thin coating. I had to go back with a spoon once my can was empty and redistribute some, almost like painting the tortillas. Yeah, back to that type-A thing.


They bake at 350 F for 15 minutes; then take them out and top with the rest of the Mexican cheese. (Another type-A moment trying to evenly cover them with cheese....) Then put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes.


The cheese didn’t really melt in 10 minutes (probably because it was reduced-fat, oops), but there were three very hungry people in the next room, so we just dug in.


Mmmm...definitely worth the wait. And when the rest of my family started to moan about the two (or three) enchiladas they ate, I told them that each one only had about 150 calories...and they were in shock. Per enchilada? Yes, PER ENCHILADA! Oh, I’m so glad I signed up for a Pinterest account.
Post a Comment