Friday, May 10, 2013

Pearls of Wisdom and Brownie Batter Ice Cream


I officially turned in my ARL badge yesterday, so I’m now “between jobs” with all the extra time that comes along with unemployment. Turns out I have good timing, too, because my sister got her wisdom teeth out this morning.


It’s amazing how little her face has swollen. She when she first tried to eat, she couldn’t hold down the pudding I bought her, but now she’s getting ready to attack some homemade mac & cheese, so hopefully that’s passed. She doesn’t remember a lot of the conversations we had just after she got home...but we just got back from walking the dog around the block, so she’s definitely doing better than I was after my surgery!

Anyway, having all this free time means I was able to help. I took care of the horses. I went to Walmart and bought frozen mac & cheese (she’s going to be full of noodles and cheese by the end of this). I forgot to get Italian ice...oops. But I’m making up for that with ice cream!


That’s right, the ice cream maker is out again! This time it’s brownie batter...with a MARSHMALLOW SWIRL! I’ve been HUGELY tempted to make ice cream every day this week since the Funfetti Froyo on Tuesday night, but I decided that I did need to eat what was already in the freezer (mostly Ben & Jerry’s...), and I really wanted to make this a surprise for Zoe today specifically, when she’s in pain and can’t eat much else. Plus, she loves brownie batter.

Oh, before you start singing my praises as an amazing sister...this is totally for me. :) You have no idea how MAD I was when Ben & Jerry’s nixed their Brownie Batter flavor! Chocolate Therapy is no replacement, although I do love it. And Dairy Queen’s Brownie Batter Blizzard is so disappointing, because it’s vanilla ice cream with (in my experience, minimal) brownie batter swirled into it. So it was only a matter of time before this creation came about.

I sort of made up the recipe. It’s an adaptation to the vanilla ice cream recipe in the little book that came with our ice cream maker...only a lot less fattening! It made 14 1/2-cup servings (so three and a half pints, and you know we eat ice cream by the pint in my house!).

(Light) Brownie Batter Ice Cream

  • 1.5 cups skim milk
  • 3 cups half and half
  • 1 cup Stevia in the raw
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup brownie mix (I used Ghirardelli Double Chocolate)
  • 6 tbsp marshmallow fluff

Basically, what I did was substitute skim milk for whole milk and half and half for heavy whipping cream. And the Stevia in the raw for sugar, of course. I had no idea what all that that would do to the final product, but really...it’s going to taste like brownie batter, so who cares?


Admittedly, it didn’t mix very well...a whisk would have worked, but all I had was a spoon. I tried to break up most of the clumps, but the chocolate chips in the brownie mix made it hard to tell them apart from the powder blobs. Most of the brownie mix and sweetener floated to the top, so I wasn’t sure if the end result would taste uniformly like brownie batter, or if half of it would just taste like milk. NOTE: DO NOT add the fluff yet! If you do, it will just get completely incorporated into the ice cream instead of being a “swirl”!


Into the ice cream maker!

Right before I turned off the machine, I added the fluff. I think the first few tablespoons got swallowed up into the ice cream while I was trying to detach the last few from the tablespoon measure, but the rest turned into a swirl. :)


Done! At first I thought the yield in the original recipe was lying, because after I filled the first pint, it didn’t look like enough to fill two and a half more. But it turned out to be correct, after I’d scraped the sides of the freezing bowl.

As I transferred it from the ice cream machine, I did notice that the texture is sort of icy. I guess I should have expected that, given that there’s only 1 gram of fat per serving here, and the fat is what makes ice cream...well, creamy. So maybe we don’t truly have ice cream here, but the main point is that it tastes like brownie batter (it really does!), it’s healthier than brownie batter and not likely to cause salmonella, it’s cold, and Zoe can eat it.


Hmm. Turns out we only have three empty Talenti jars. I’d let you believe that I’ve only eaten three pints of Talenti, but that would be a lie, and I recently promised to be as honest as possible here.... Anyway, those two little containers are exactly 1/2-cup, so they’re perfect if you just want a single serving. Or if you want just one more serving. :)
Post a Comment