Monday, May 20, 2013

Review: PowerBar Recovery Peanut Butter Caramel Crisp

Sometimes accidents happen for a reason. And I’m pretty sure this is one of those times. See, my dad usually buys the individual PowerBar Cookies & Cream Recovery bars (to go along with his Clif Chocolate Mint Builder’s Bars, I guess), but apparently one day there was a Peanut Butter Caramel Crisp bar in the Cookies & Cream box. Which he didn’t notice until he got home. Which means, since I’m the only person in our house who eats peanut butter, that I got another bar to review!



It smells really peanut buttery, almost reminding me of a Butterfingers. And that was even before I broke it. The coating isn’t really that dark; the lighting just got a little messed up.


There are crisps on top of the base layer, resting in a river of caramel. While the caramel isn’t super stringy or gooey, I do appreciate that it’s at least visible. A lot of peanut butter-caramel bars just add caramel flavoring to the base, and it gets totally lost in the other flavors.

Anyway, back on track. This bar proves that there’s hope for PowerBar yet, because I loved it. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised, since the Pria line isn’t bad either. But this is a whole new level. The peanut butter taste is very strong. The chocolate coating is smooth and rich, sort of like a Reese’s. And the caramel is even detectable as a sweet undercurrent, complementing the peanut butter and making this feel pretty much like eating a candy bar.

The texture is great, too. The base has a soft gummy feel like nougat, and the crisps give a cool contrast. Then there’s a slight goo factor from the thin caramel layer. There’s a slight gritty feel left over in your molars, but I really don’t mind because it just prolongs the whole experience. Plus, there’s no protein taste at all.

For once, I find myself agreeing with my dad when he says the Recovery bars are a lot better than the protein bars. Because this bar is just awesome. Peanut butter candy all the way. Of course, you’ll probably find healthier, “cleaner” options out there...but they’re not likely to taste this good! I may have to swipe one of my dad’s Cookies & Cream ones next!

Taste: 10--it’s basically a peanut butter-caramel candy bar
Texture: 9--a nougaty base topped with crisps that add variety and caramel for a gooey component.
Health: 8--well, some things are too good to be true. It has a lot of saturated fat and sugar, which probably accounts for the great taste. GoodGuide gives it a low health score of 2.4.
Eat Again? Yes.


Post a Comment