Friday, May 17, 2013

Review: Pria Bar Mint Chocolate Cookie

Way back before I tolerated protein bars, PowerBars (the 30-gram bar) made me gag. They still do, despite my love of all things protein. But their Pria line, which is geared toward women much like Clif’s Luna bars, haven’t been nearly as offensive. The French Vanilla Crisp bar was actually pretty good, if cloyingly sweet. Which led me to buy the Mint Chocolate Cookie bar the next time I was at Wegmans.





Granted, that was probably at least four months ago. And this bar has sat in the basement with the rest of my stash ever since.


As a result, I can’t tell if the chocolate coating is dark, or if it has just aged to the point where it looks dark. But it smells minty as soon as it’s unwrapped, an overpowering smell for such a small, light bar.

Biting into this bar, the lack of minty assault is a bit shocking after the smell. It’s certainly pepperminty, but it’s very mild. The taste leans more toward sweet chocolate from the coating; but when the coating dissolves, you’re left with a sour aftertaste. You can definitely tell it’s a nutrition bar, not a Thin Mint. But the mint flavor that there is also delivers its kick at the end, which somewhat mitigates the nutritional taste.

The crisps in this bar are not airy like a Rice Krispies Treat, but are denser and almost soggy. They get stuck in your teeth, and since they carry the protein/nutrition taste, that’s a bit of a downer. But the denseness of the crisps mimics a Girl Scout cookie better than a Rice Krispies Treat would, so it has that going for it, at least.

Overall, the mint flavor is pleasant enough, and I’m thoroughly impressed by the ability of this bar to hold up in cold, central Pennsylvania basement conditions for so long without coming across as stale in any way (unless that’s why the crisps seemed soggy...). Still, I probably wouldn’t eat this bar again; there are other, mintier bars that are also much more satisfying. Of course, if you’re looking for a light 100-ish calories, this might be your best choice. It’s not a bad little bar, just not up my alley.

Taste: 7--at first, it’s mostly chocolate, but there is a slight bitterness. The mint is fairly subtle.
Texture: 8--crispy but not too airy; too light to be satisfying.
Health: 8--it’s good for a small snack, but I wouldn’t qualify it as a whole meal. It would be a good replacement for a candy bar or Rice Krispies Treat. GoodGuide gives it a resounding 10.
Eat Again? Maybe, if I had one laying around, but I’m not sure I’d have much use for them since they’re so small.


Post a Comment