Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Review: Snickers Marathon Protein Bar Caramel Nut Rush

Hungry? Well, supposedly grabbing a Snickers will solve your problem. I don’t eat candy bars all that often, but when I do they’re usually Milky Ways or Reese’s or Butterfingers or just straight chocolate--rarely anything with nuts. But I do like Snickers, and I’ve heard all about their Marathon protein bars, which seem to cause a great deal of argument. There are those who love the taste and those who scoff that it’s literally a Snickers with a bit more protein. I was curious, so when I saw them at Walmart I bought one to try.



The bar is 290 calories and 20 grams of protein. It’s also fairly large considering the average size of other 20-gram protein bars.


The inside looks like an inverted Snickers bar, with the peanuts and caramel on the bottom and the nougat (or, in this case, protein base) on top. There’s also a lot less of the caramel/nut mixture than the rest of the bar, so you know it’s probably not going to be as good as the real candy bar.

On first bite, though, it really does taste just like a Snickers bar. The peanuts and caramel are, understandably, subtler, but putting them on the bottom makes them stand out a bit more since they’re right next to your tongue. There’s very minimal protein taste; the main differences are in texture. This bar is drier than a Snickers and a little chalky. The peanuts don’t add much texture; the caramel, while slightly sticky, isn’t gooey or stringy like a  true candy bar. There just isn’t enough of it.

The chocolate coating is also rather disappointing in its thinness. There are places where its flavor is stronger (mostly the ends and sides), but I wish there was more of it. Beyond that, the taste alone was a close reproduction of Snickers’ original candy bar. I can see why people eat it, and I’m all for having this if your other alternative is candy...but looking at the sugar and fat content, there are certainly healthier bars out there.

Taste: 9--tastes almost exactly like a Snickers, with no protein taste, but less caramel and nuts.
Texture: 7--a bit chalky and dry; not as gooey as I’d like from the caramel.
Health: 6.5--there are a lot of carbs, and it’s a bit calorie-heavy in my experience for the amount of protein you’re getting. I’ve seen lower-calorie 30-gram bars out there.
Eat Again? Probably not.


Post a Comment