Thursday, May 2, 2013

Talenti Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup (A Gelato Review)


Those frozen dessert connoisseurs out there probably know that Talenti recently “officially” unveiled their new limited edition flavors (some of which have been out for a while now, such as the German Chocolate Cake gelato). To celebrate, they offered Facebook fans an opportunity to win a coupon for $1 off a pint of gelato.

Which brought this pint of Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup down to $4.29, which is still a dollar more than Ben & Jerry’s! Nevertheless, I can’t seem to stay away from their Sea Salt Caramel, so I’m hoping this will be worth it, too.


You can already see the peanut butter swirl running through the milk chocolate gelato. I just love these clear containers!


This gelato combines their Belgian Milk Chocolate base with organic peanut butter and all-natural mini peanut butter cups. As usual, the gelato is very soft and creamy straight from the freezer, and waaay too easy to scoop (although I limited myself to half a pint--the only other time I’ve done that was with the gross pint of Americone Dream a while back). The peanut butter swirl, in contrast, is semi-solid. It’s also a dark amber color, which is funny to see because I immediately associate that with caramel.


If the color of the peanut butter is misleading, its flavor certainly isn’t. There’s hardly a bite without any; its tendrils penetrate deeply throughout the pint, and where they aren’t present there’s likely to be a peanut butter cup. The peanut butter has a nice grit to it, and you’ll be chewing this swirl because it’s pretty solid. It’s not Jif quality--I’d liken it to a store brand, but this probably has something to do with the “organic” label.


The peanut butter cups are fairly frequent--I found about the same number as I would truffles in the Sea Salt Caramel, but they’re more evenly distributed. And when they say mini, they mean it! These little guys aren’t even half the size of a Reese’s mini--but they sure do pack a LOT of peanut butter flavor! They’re also super chocolatey, adding a rich fudge twist.

The only complaint I have is that I don’t particularly like the base. It’s a very light chocolate, with lots of milky aftertaste--too milky for me. I like a denser, darker chocolate. I guess now I know not to buy a pint of Belgian Milk Chocolate! Still, there’s enough peanut butter in here to make up for the base, and scooping it by itself is rare anyway.

While this certainly is a respectable addition to all the peanut butter ice creams out there, and I’m glad I tried it, I probably wouldn’t buy it again if given the option. But if you’re a fan of milky, chocolate gelato and/or love Talenti’s Belgian Milk Chocolate, this is definitely worth a try.
Post a Comment