Thursday, May 23, 2013

Veggie Burgers!

Earlier this week I was trolling Pinterest yet again for fun recipes when I found broccoli and cheese bites from Stacey Snacks. I’ve been wanting to make them since Tuesday, when I braved the construction work that is blocking off every grocery store in State College to get frozen chopped broccoli. But my dad was out of town on a business trip, until late Wednesday, and then my mom went out to dinner with a friend, so tonight was the first opportunity I had to make them for everybody to enjoy.


You might have guessed that I tweaked the recipe. Quite a bit. It started out as just using Egg Beaters instead of eggs, but then I realized that I only had a 10-ounce package of broccoli. So I just sort of made it up as I went along. The final recipe:
  • 1 (10-oz.) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
  • 9 tbsp Egg Beaters
  • 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs (mine were unseasoned, but seasoned would be delicious)
  • 1/2 cup cheese (I used the Mexican cheese left over from my enchiladas)

I was nervous that they wouldn’t stick together as patties, but they worked fairly well. I decided to make them broccoli burgers instead of bites, because bigger is always better. My little package of broccoli made 11 burgers. I found that the best way to from them was to smoosh them onto the parchment-paper-lined cookie sheet with my hands. It made a mess, but it worked!


The funny thing is, they looked exactly the same before they baked as they did after. They cook at 375 F for 25 minutes, flipping after the first 15.


I can’t wait to fry one up in a pan tomorrow (yes, there were plenty left after we attacked them) and get it nice and crispy! Obviously, they tasted mostly like broccoli--I’m sure there wasn’t nearly enough cheese in them for the rest of my cheese-loving family--but that’s perfectly fine with me. With a little salt, they’re delicious. They got a little brown, but mostly they were just like cooked or steamed veggies. Veggie burgers! :)
Post a Comment