Saturday, June 1, 2013

And We're Off on an Attempt at a "Normal" Vacation

Yes, I know it’s 4 in the morning, but I can’t sleep. In an hour we head to the airport for our trip to Yellowstone. It’s the first time I’ve flown since I was probably ten years old, so that in itself is plenty of excitement. But then there’s the actual vacation itself--none of us have ever been to Yellowstone, or even really “out west” since our trip to the Grand Canyon when I was in fifth or sixth grade.

Originally I hadn’t planned to go. A plane ride, not to mention staying in various hotels with unknown amenities, would have disrupted my all-important exercise and food regime. But not long after I decided to try to kick this thing, I told my parents I wanted to come along, too. It seemed like the ideal situation, a way to challenge my eating disorder: an active vacation without “exercise” in the structured sense, but with plenty of hiking. I would eat what and when everyone else did.

Now that the time is here, though, I’m a little nervous. I really, really hope I can handle it. I want to be able to. I know how much my parents are looking forward to this vacation, and I don’t want to ruin it for them by resorting to “safe” habits or obsessing about exercise. I’m much better about that than I was, but sometimes it’s still a daily struggle. I’m starting to fear I’ve forced myself on them when they might have had a much better time alone. With that in mind, I want to try extra hard to be more normal...whatever “normal” is.

With all that said, I don’t know how much blogging I’ll be doing, but I will be taking tons of pictures! We have flights and a six-hour drive today, from what I understand arriving around 6 p.m. (in whatever time zone it is out there...Mountain?). So it’s quite a long day! But everything I’ve heard about Yellowstone says it’ll be worth it. So bring on the challenge!


Post a Comment