Monday, June 17, 2013

Front Porch Carolina Churned Scarlett Red Velvet (An Ice Cream Review)

I have been raving about all the new ice cream options in North Carolina for the past several days now. The theme continues as I try yet another new brand, Front Porch. It seems only fitting, since this ice cream company originated as a local creamery in Mooresville, North Carolina. 85 years later, they’re selling pints in grocery stores in several southern states.


Here we are with Scarlett Red Velvet. Front Porch promises that “Our rich, creamy, vanilla ice cream co-stars with a delicious red velvet cake and cream cheese swirl to deliver a flavor-filled performance you won’t soon forget.” Sounds good, and you know I’m a sucker for cake flavored stuff!


Hmm, it certainly doesn’t look like vanilla ice cream with a red velvet swirl...it looks like red velvet cake ice cream! In fact, until I started writing this review I didn’t know it was supposed to be vanilla. It tastes just like cake, with that super-sweet flavor that’s a signature of cake-flavored ice cream. Now, it’s been a while since I’ve had actual red velvet cake, but I can tell it’s not your usual yellow cake--there are notes of chocolate.

The cream cheese swirl, however, is actually a swirl, and is visible even amidst the pale pink base. Unlike Ben & Jerry’s Red Velvet Cake, the cream cheese is discernible from the rest of the pint and actually looks a lot like a stiff marshmallow swirl. I went right for a bit of white swirl, and there’s a bit of a cream cheese kick. It works well with the red velvet base, but isn’t overpowering for someone like me who isn’t a huge cream cheese fan.

And now we get to the best part of the pint...the pieces of cake. Cake? I guess it’s supposed to be cake, but these go beyond cake. Cake, in my opinion, can get airy and dry very easily, and in all honesty I usually only eat cake for the frosting. But these chunks aren’t cakey. They’re dense and chewy and even a little gritty, sort of like you get with cookie dough. Awesome. They are more like brownies than cake, and let’s admit it, brownies are far superior. Hands down the best cake mix-in ever!


The only thing keeping this from totally trouncing all competition is that it’s not as dense and creamy as super-premium ice cream like Ben & Jerry’s. At times it seems a bit icy and airy, and it won’t fill you up as fast as a super-rich ice cream will. That said, it also has a LOT less fat and calories. Which is cool because it makes me feel less guilty when I finish the whole pint. Overall, I’d buy this again. As it stands, it’s just behind B&J’s as my second-favorite cake-flavored ice cream. I think I’m going to like living in North Carolina. :)

Post a Comment