Monday, June 24, 2013

High Road French Toast Craft Ice Cream (An Ice Cream Review)


It’s time to introduce yet another new ice cream brand to the blog, with High Road Craft Ice Cream. It originally started a few years ago selling ice cream to restaurants, but has since expanded to grocery stores. I found this pint of French Toast at Whole Foods.



Maybe I’m missing something, but I can’t find any hint of this flavor on their website. But there are other mentions online, so I know I’m not hallucinating. Anyway, I like French toast and I don’t get to eat it very often, so I’m pretty excited here.


Uh oh, ice on the top! This stuff is immediately very scoopable, in fact it’s probably best to start scooping right out of the freezer. It does melt fairly fast for a premium ice cream. But I love how you can see the cinnamon flecks, and the cinnamon scent coming off the ice cream reminds me a little bit of Ben & Jerry’s Cinnamon Buns.

Now, coming in at 90 grams per serving, it’s not as dense as B&J’s or Haagen-Dazs, although the tradeoff is a (slightly) lower calorie count. It’s also not quite as creamy; there’s a sort of icy or gritty feel. I’ve gotten this impression before from cinnamon ice creams, so maybe that’s the case here. Either way, it’s not ruining the experience; in fact it kind of works well with this flavor. Now, if my chocolate ice cream was gritty....


...OK, that is officially the best picture of ice cream I’ve ever taken.

But anyway, back on track...this isn’t chocolate, so we’re OK. Nooo, this is spoonful after spoonful of frozen breakfast delight: cinnamon, yes, but a very sweet, sugary cinnamon. It really does taste like French toast, only more cinnamony...but not as cinnamony as B&J’s Cinnamon Buns. It has milky tones, too--it coats your mouth like a glass of 2%. The eggy bread-ness really comes through in the aftertaste and lingers for a while after you finish.

The only thing that’s missing is a mix-in. It’s bordering on boring without anything to break up the uniform sweet-egg-cinnamon-smoothness, but it’s such a unique flavor that I can’t fault them for it...too much, anyway. The name promises a special treat, and this ice cream delivers. Definitely a brand to come back to in the future.
Post a Comment