Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Arctic Zero Mint Chocolate Cookie (A Frozen Dessert Review)

Remember how I finally found Cookies & Cream Arctic Zero in Jackson Hole? Well, right next to it in the freezer was Mint Chocolate Cookie.


So, without prelude, here we go. It’s a lighter color than the regular Chocolate, but not as orange as the Chocolate Peanut Butter.


There’s a slight minty smell, but not enough to make me think this is going to resemble a Thin Mint or anything.


The first taste was a surprise—very minty! The flavor is a lot stronger than I was expecting; in fact, it’s hard to taste the chocolate because the mint is so dominant. Oddly enough, the bigger the spoonful or the faster I ate, the less mint I tasted. I think the mint comes in as a kick at the end. This one is definitely best when savored; otherwise, it sort of turns into a tasteless, sort-of-chocolate frozen dessert. I also noticed a slight “healthy” taste, sort of like the way it smells when you walk into a granary or other natural-food-only store that lets you bag your own herbs and stuff.

As for texture, it was about on par with the other chocolate-based flavors. Not as soft as Cookies & Cream or even Vanilla Maple, but nowhere near the disaster of the Strawberry one. Again, it spent a while in the car and then the questionable hotel freezer, so it was probably more thawed than if I’d eaten it at home.

So Mint Chocolate Cookie wasn’t one of my favorites. I’d probably take Chocolate Peanut Butter over it any day, and it doesn’t even come close to Vanilla Maple or the overall winner, Cookies & Cream. At the same time, it wasn’t bad, and certainly good enough for a minty-chocolate craving from a health-conscious person. I’m still impressed with Arctic Zero’s ability to come so close to ice cream and maintain the nutrition stats they have. I’d say, if you’re willing to spend the money, and are really into health and fitness, try it. Just don’t go in expecting real ice cream.

So here we have it:
  1. Cookies & Cream
  2. Vanilla Maple
  3. Chocolate Peanut Butter
  4. Mint Chocolate Cookie
  5. Chocolate
  6. Strawberry
Post a Comment