Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Ben & Jerry's Target Exclusive Brownie Chew Gooder (An Ice Cream Review)

After yesterday’s Cotton Candy, it’s time for another exclusive Ben & Jerry’s flavor! This time it’s not Walmart, though, it’s Target. I can’t tell you how long I’ve wanted to try Brownie Chew Gooder, but our Target back in Pennsylvania is lame and doesn’t carry much ice cream at all, let alone these exclusive flavors. With a coupon for $1.60 off two pints, I snagged both this one and Peanut Butter World (so you know what to expect in the future!).




Anyway, this is “Vanilla Caramel Ice Cream with Fudge Brownies & a Caramel Swirl.” I’m constantly lamenting B&J’s lack of brownies in non-chocolate ice cream, so it’s exciting to finally have access to this one!




We’ve got brownies already, along with a tantalizing fan of caramel that you can also see lurking just below the surface. After taking a small taste of base, I was ready to dig in!




I now officially know the difference between “caramel” and “vanilla caramel” ice cream. Caramel ice cream is, well, caramel. The flavor is deep and extra sweet and rich, like you’d get with Talenti’s Sea Salt Caramel or B&J’s own Dulce Delish. Here, the caramel is much lighter; it’s almost mild, with a milky taste that mutes the caramel. You can taste the hints of vanilla. I pride myself on being a hardcore caramel junkie, but I kind of like this. It helps the swirl stand out even more.


The mix-ins really vied for my attention here; the brownies are frequent (though not as frequent as 2nd Street’s aptly named Tons of Brownies) and large, as per Ben & Jerry’s usual. I swear some of them were the size you’d normally cut out of a pan. Of course, there were some smaller pieces too, and the big ones scooped out easily along with the ice cream. They are super moist and chewy, which is how I love my brownies. For some reason they taste better in this base than in Chocolate Fudge Brownie. Or maybe I just like vanilla and caramel better than chocolate ice cream. :) In either case, I can totally see why they called it Brownie CHEW Gooder.




Finally, the swirl. It’s nice and sticky and gooey and gives an extra caramel kick next to the milder base. It might be a little less prevalent than in flavors like Dulce Delish, but with the brownie mix-ins and the caramel from the base ice cream, there was plenty of it for me. Well, of course I would never say no to a little more. ;)


In all, B&J’s is on a roll here. Between this and Cotton Candy, Phish Food (and Froyo, of course) had better watch out for its #1 title! Ben & Jerry seem to have a habit of making their best pints exclusive, meaning that I have to visit five different stores each time I go shopping so I can get all my favorites! Not that I’m complaining...I would totally do it for these flavors. And if the trend keeps up, I will be in heaven once I finally find the Walgreens-exclusive Truffle Trifecta!
Post a Comment