Saturday, July 20, 2013

Ben & Jerry's Target Exclusive Peanut Butter World (An Ice Cream Review)

It’s official. The best Ben & Jerry’s flavors are the ones exclusive to certain stores.


There was Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup and then Cotton Candy (by far my most popular B&J’s post) from Walmart. Truffle Trifecta from Walgreens, which wasn’t my favorite but certainly respectable. And Brownie Chew Gooder from Target. And now, also a Target exclusive, Peanut Butter World.



Not that this is new. Just new to me, because the Target in State College never stocked Ben & Jerry’s. Oh, the horror...


I mean, how many potential customers do you think they lost by not selling that beauty? Ben & Jerry’s describes Peanut Butter World as “Milk Chocolate Ice Cream with Peanut Buttery Swirls & Chocolate Cookie Swirls.” That just sounds heavenly, and I’m more than a little curious if “milk chocolate” means the base is different from their standard chocolate.


Now, if you thought the swirl looked awesome before, check it out after just one scoop. There are thick gobs of both cookie crumbles and peanut butter running through the whole pint. These things are so packed in that it’s almost impossible to scoop, even more so than the usual Ben & Jerry’s.

First off, I go for the swirls. And they are just as delicious as they look. The cookie swirl is the same one used in Milk & Cookies and Chocolate Therapy, only here is seems even denser, and it goes better with the chocolate ice cream. I think maybe the darkness of Chocolate Therapy’s base doesn’t let it shine to its full potential, but that’s another story.


The peanut butter swirl is more of huge clumps of peanut butter, but it’s totally awesome that way. Think peanut butter out of the jar, but hardened just enough to give resistance yet still be chewy and gritty. My last spoonful, I was trying to break into a reasonable size...and I couldn’t because it was this huge chunk of pure peanut butter. And it tastes straight from the jar. Based on the name, I was thinking something along the lines of Haagen-Dazs Peanut Butter Pie. Not the case. There’s just enough of it to make a statement, but not too much so that it overwhelms everything (as peanut butter is prone to do). In fact, despite its name, this pint is surprisingly mild on the peanut butter. OK, maybe mild is the wrong word...but it’s not as peanut buttery as I was expecting.

And that’s OK. Because this whole combination really works. Although I couldn’t tell a difference between the milk chocolate ice cream and the normal B&J’s chocolate base (it did seem to melt down a little faster, unless that was my imagination--or freezer), it was still rich and dense. And the texture of the whole ensemble is so cool. The ice cream, as it melts, gets super creamy, while the cookie swirl gives it an awesome grit, and the peanut butter adds a smooth (but gritty in the PB way) finish. And, of course, the tastes combine perfectly...who doesn’t love chocolate and peanut butter?


So, I could totally go through a pint of this, even though at 330 calories per serving that would be over 1300 calories...but it’s really that good. Ben and Jerry need to make more exclusive flavors...or maybe they need to make their best flavors non-exclusive! This has me wishing there was a 7-11 nearby so I could test out Nutty Caramel Swirl.
Post a Comment